1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

12.5 kaw or 16 hp vanguard ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott korczynski, Mar 15, 2000.

1. scott korczynski

scott korczynski LawnSite Member

I'm picking up a Toro gear drive walk-behind with a 44'' floating deck. For an extra $100 I can move from the 12.5 kawasaki to the 16 vanguard. Any comments on either of these motors would be appreciated. What should I get? Thanx, Scott

2. Can I interest you in a very nice used model?<p>Surplus to my needs is a used toro WB with<br>about 300 total hours usage. It has the original 11hp B&S engine a 44&quot; mowing deck<br>and toro bagger ($300 new). <p>It is located in Eastern Penna. and my price<br>is $1400 firm.

3. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

Scott i would stick with the kawasaki, it is a lot better built than the briggs vangaurd. Kawasakis have stood up well for us, the briggs on the otherhand, don't hold up well for commercial applications even if you get the I/C or the vangaurd. just my 2 cents Tom

4. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Stay with the kaw. I will never buy anything that has a Briggs on it. Had two suck down valves. 16h.p. vanguard.

5. scott korczynski

scott korczynski LawnSite Member

If I puchase the 12.5 hp kawasaki,will it be under powered with the 44'' deck?

6. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

12.5 Kaw Plenty of power for 44&quot;<br>We used to run them on 52&quot; - did fine.<p>If I were buying a 52&quot; I'd probably get the 15 or 17 twin Kaw.

7. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48&quot; bobcat with a 12.5 kawi, the engine is 11 years old and starts on the first pull every time (second pull in the middle of winter). It's got plenty of power. I also have a 14 hp vanguard which is about 4 years old and alot harder to start. In the winter it won't even start.

8. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 12.5 Kaw on a 36&quot;. It will cut anything. Four years....no problems!

9. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 12.5 Kaw on a 36&quot;. It will cut anything. Four years....no problems!

10. TurfMaster

TurfMaster LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Gotta stay with the Kawaski, nothing else compares. I've never had Briggs and Stratton that ran smooth for over two years, there's always something that goes wrong with. I'd get a Kohler any day before a B&S. They're kind of like generic pop tarts, their cheap....but just don't taste the same as Kellog's or like a Pop Tart is supposed to taste(sorry for the bad analogy).