12.5 kawa vs 15 hp kohler

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mityike, May 7, 2004.

1. mityike

mityike LawnSite Member

Im looking at the 36" Metro and am wondering whats better between these two motors. Id like to go with the Kawa since it seems like a better brand, but is the 12.5 underpowered for the 36" metro with velke? One Dealer prefers the 15 hp for power, but another one prefers the Kawa since its specs are better than the Kohler.

Also, I was talked out of the 36" metro hp, dealer said with such a small deck, the floating option wasnt that beneficial.

This mower is for home use only, so it wont be used everyday. Also, any benefits of the ECS over the Pistol Grip?

2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have 02, M3613ka with that 12.5 kawi pistol and Jungle Jim's jungle wheels. I know this thing is indestructible IF you change oil and filter every 50 hours or less. I run Castrol 10-30 full syntec in it and no question about the motor, it cuts everything in front of it, love the machine.
    As far as pulling sulky, I have never a single issue or doubt, also, most of my accounts are hills, so go figure. I only weigh 160 that might help me fly... As for the Kohler, I don't see them much on WB and most of smaller Kohler (less than 20hp) suck except that big HP on the Z. I don't like the ECS on belt model (wierd neutral, park setup at thumb) , eXmark pistol is the most comfortable grip on belt ( go try Scag or Gravely pistol! brutal bro), but the ECS is awesome on the hydro TTHP especially the 48", so compact and agile easy to manouver around tight lawns or out open, it is the shortest WB but "big" on performance...and it makes me drool..._:(

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mityike,

Both the 12.5 Kaw and the 15 Kohler are super durable engines. The Kawi set the standard by which all large single cylinder engines are judged. The 15 Kohler can hold it's own though and it does have good power. You really can't go wrong with either one. The Kohler is a little louder but you'd expect that with a horsepower advantage.

As far as ECS vs. pistol grips as MTR points out the ECS controls are not for everyone. My personal preference if for ECS and since we intorduced it has been the dominant control type for us. I would qualify that however. Just because one style dominates over the other does not mean that it is better for you. I would recommend a demo to determine if ECS or pistol grip is right for you.

Thanks,

Terry

4. billc

billc LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Metro and like the ECS grips a lot.