12.5 Kawasaki Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by YLC1, Mar 29, 2002.

1. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

I did a search and couldn't find anything related to my problem.I've got a 12.5 Kaw. that spits,sputters, backfires,and sometimes dies when the blades are engaged.I cleaned the carb bowl and pulled the jet out and cleaned that.Any ideas would be welcomed.Thanks,Richard:confused:

2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

12.5 kaw. thats the 420c, or 420 cv model right? is the gas new, or is it old gas?

we have an older bobcat with the 420 kaw engine on it, and just this afternoon was experiencing exact same symptoms you mentioned-except for the backfiring part

so, i . changed plugs, cleaned carb drained gas, put in new gas. after doing that, it ran fine. backfiring though is usually the sign of an internal problem-possibly in need of a valve job.

3. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

The fuel is fresh and the plug has a few hours on it.The gap on the plug is fine and clean.This engine is a FB460V.The rpm's are right at 3600.Doesn't have any problems when engageing the transmission.This mower has an electric clutch.I was mowing and had to disengage the blades and when I went back to reengage the blades the engine bacfired and died.Couldn't get it restarted at the time so I wrestled it on the trailer and finished with the 21".Now a winch on the trailer sounds like a good idea.Thanks for the help,Richard

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like the coil/module. There is a great deal of load put on the engine while engaging the blades. Your spark is probably weak under load due to a bad coil or plug wire.

5. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

ahhh the electric clutch huh. bobcat just switched over to those on their walk behinds. im still waiting to hear what everyone thinks of them for the bobcat.
    we have them on our riders, but hvent purchased a walk behind with one yet.

considering that, khouse suggestion makes more sense to me than what i had said.

6. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies.I'm going to check the plug wire and hope that takes care of it.I'm pretty much at a loss of ideas when it comes to ignition/carb problems.I think it's time to check out the small engine repair class at the local community college.