12.5 kawi backfiring!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cariboulou, May 26, 2006.

1. cariboulou

cariboulou LawnSite Member

Any advice on keeping my exmark 32" with mulching kit from backfiring? I run it only in backyards with gates and run it at 80 to 100% throttle. when I park it on the trailer, lower the throttle, and shut it off it backfires out the muffler. Is there some screw that is making it run rich?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Let it sit on the trailer and idle for a couple minutes (cool down) while loading other equipment then shut it down and see if that doesn't help.

3. cariboulou

never had to do that with my 36" scag with same engine. friend of mine said it might my running rich, since when it get done with backyard, I throttle down to 50%, gear down to 2nd and drive it up ramp and put it in sideways, a couple of minutes total and then shut it off.

4. Restrorob

Pull the spark plug and look at it, If it's black it's running rich and needs the carb. cleaned and a new float needle valve. What is the model number on this engine ? Do both these units have the same hours on them ? And how many would you figure ?

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Try shutting down the engine at just under 1/2 throttle.

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

shut the engine off at 3/4 throttle.

7. cariboulou

cleaned off the spark plug and want to change it out. after I cleaned it I gapped it at .25 and it didnt backfire this time. It has an autolite plug in it on a kawi 12.5. Id like ngk, does anyone know the part no. for this engine and correct gap?

8. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Kawi FB460V plug:BMR2A, gap: 0.024-.028

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

An old plug isnt going to cause a backfire...

10. Restrorob

Hmmmmm......Kind of like you can't balance a blade on a nail huh. :waving: