12.5 Kohler Command wont start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jusmowin, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I was given a stx38 John Deere(I finally got one) last week but now just got around to playing with it , but I cant get it started. I droped off the carb and cleaned it out,changed the oil filter and gas filter and also the spark plug . If I put gas directly into the carb it will run for a few seconds but no longer than that. Im know Im missing something , so any sugestions on how to get this 12.5 Kohler Command running would be helpful. Thanks for the help

By The Way....This mower has been sittig for 3 years, about as long as Ive been cutting the lawn!
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

and you might get some better responses, but for now:

You obviuosly did your trobuleshooting and found you have a fuel problem. You cleaned the carb, but did you try changing the needle and seat? Sometime the needle gets hung up and locked in. (not sure if that would even make a difference though). Also, check and adjust the jets to manufacturers specs to start with, just to try getting it running again. You also might want to clean out the tank and your fuel lines to make sure they're not pinched or plugged. Check your butterfly also under your air filter.

I don't know too much about small engines, but those are all places I've found problems before.

Good Luck, hope you figure it out!
  3. Nick

Nick Banned

You forgot to clean you pre filtet and paper filter. If these are extremely dirty they will choke the engine off of air.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure the fuel cut off swi9tch is on.
  5. foo569

foo569 LawnSite Member

I had a similar problem with my kawasaki. with the pouring the gas satraight into the carb.if you did not do so already drain all the gas out of gas tank there might be water in it, put fresh gas in it and then try starting it.

Jonathan Kiwacz