12.5 kohler doent want to run!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jusmowin, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 93 JD stx38 w/ a 12.5 kohler that has a very hard time starting( have too poor gas into carb to get it running ) So I was wondering if I need a need a new/rebuilt carb or if its something else? This is my back up mower so its not a real big hurry to get it done, but would like to TRY and fix it myself. Thanks for any help or info youall can give me.

2. How does it run and idle once started.
    From what you posted I would check to make sure choke is working correctly first. Then adjustments to carburetor.

3. Jusmowin

Once I get it started it runs rough for a minute or 2 but quickly smooths out . But getting it started is a real challange .
    BTW... There is a little tube/cylinder (threads into bottom of float bowel and has a wire going to the end of it) does anyone know what this is or what its for ? thanks

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Your little tube is a fuel shutoff. It is supposed to shut the fuel off when the engine is stopped or, if it wired for this, the mower rolls over.

It does sound like your starting problems are choke related as Bob Minney said. If the choke is closing all of the way then you may have a problem in the choke circuit in the carb. Before you buy a carb kit check one thing first. See if there is any play in the throttle butterfly shaft. If the shaft or carb is worn then you may just be better off buying a new carb. Play in this area could also make it hard to start.

5. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Fuel shut off solinoid . Supposed to keep it from dieseling when you shut it off.

ducky

6. Jusmowin

RICHARD, Yes I fouund that little butterfly do-hicky and yes it has alot of play in it . As for the fuel solinoid the end of that broke so now I need to get new one ($50for that little thing) but the wire that goes too that is in good shape. Does anyone know where I can get a caarb on line , as my JD dealer is really high priced and a real jerk! Thanks alot for all the help

7. Jusmowin

THANKS Bob for the web address

8. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

Any reputable Kohler dealer can get you a carb for your CV12.5 Kohler.