1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

12.5hp Kawasaki Engine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SLONE'S LANDSCAPING, Oct 21, 2007.

I Have A Older Bobcat Ransome 48 Walk Behind Mower. It Has A Fb460v 12.5 Hp Motor. The Problem I Am Having Is When I Shut The Motor Off I Get Flames That Shoot Out Of The Muffler. The Carb Was Removed, Cleaned And A New Pin Put In. It Still Shoots The Flame Out When I Shut It Off At Full Throttle Or Throttle It Down. The Motor Still Runs Fine Except For This Problem. It Drives Me Nuts. I Have Pulled This Mower Out Of Full Time Use Because Of This. I Am Thinking Of Replaceing This Motor With A Kohler 14 Hp. Any Help Or Advice On This Would Be Great. Thanks Slone
  2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmm, maybe you should add this as a feature that sets you apart from the competition and charge a little extra for the show!
  3. dubblet125

dubblet125 LawnSite Member

i have the same motor on my exmark and its done that ever since i got i dont think its a big deal
  4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I would try resetting the choke adjustment and throttle cable adjustment. Check that the choke is opened all the way when it is set at idle? It sounds like it may be slightly closed. When you throttle it down are you letting it idle for a minute or two before shutting down? I usually return it to idle then close the fuel shutoff when it will be parked, and idle it for about one minute if it will be restarted soon. . It will only shoot fire at higher rpm shutoffs.
  5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I negleted to mention mine did this too early on also, and the choke was out of adjustment. It stopped the backfire after correcting it.
  6. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

But it'll keep going and going....... a bad valve will also cause the pull cord to yank out of your hand when you go to start it. Those that have had this "yank" happen, know what I'm talking about....almost rips your arm put of the shoulder socket....

7. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I had one on a Wheel Horse lawn tractor. It had sat on a dealers lot for over a year. It started to use a lot more fuel to the point it just blew flames out of the muffler. I had the carb rebuilt and that fixed it. Ethanol in the gas can goof up their needle and seat and make them stick.

thanks for the tips. i will give this a try and see what it will do. thanks david