1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

12.5hp Kawasaki or 15hp kawasaki ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kona, Feb 21, 2002.

1. kona

kona LawnSite Member

I would like input from anyone on these two engines. Which runs better? I know the 12.5 is a single cylinder and the 15 has two.
    It will be on either a 36 or 48" exmark walk behind fixed or float!! THANKS!!
  2. GLM

GLM LawnSite Member

It depends on what you are giong to use the mowers for. The 12.5 is to small for the 48 its ok for the 36 though, and if your going to use it commercially you need power, also the 12.5 is not an overhead valve engine either. I have used 48's with a 12.5(old ransomes) and I've used them with 17hp kawis.(new scag) The 17 is the hands down winner, the 12.5 is ok if your going to use it to mow your own lawn every week but ther is no sustitute for power. Tall wet grass is no match for ,a 17hp 48", Even the new 36" from Gravely can be equipt. with a 15hp, go for the bigger engine. I don't know anybody that ever regretted getting the bigger engine given the chioce. When my 12.5 Kohler needs to be replace I will put the 15hp twin on my 36" with out a doubt. Hope this helps.
  3. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Our 15 HP twin on our 48" WB is really smooth, and it's got plenty of power.
  4. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I have the 12.5 Kaw on my Toro Proline 37, I bought the unit used last April its approx 10 years old Runs like a champ burns alittle oil but like I said its 10 years old. Hope this helps?
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

12.5 hp is a good motor. It works well on my eXmark metro 36". I also run the mulch kit with it just fine. If you have the choice, get the bigger motor. Never hurts to have more.