12 acre bid? I have never bid anything this large.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I was asked to bid on 12 acres today for a church. I have never bid on something this large. I usually only do residential lawns. I have the equipment to handle this size property.

What would be a ball park price? I'm thinking $480

The land is pretty wide open. It is broken up in 4 sections. One of the sections in a soccer field. there isn't a whole lot of trimming. Maybe an hour worth or 1/2 hour with 2 guys.

I figured I could have 2 of us cut it with a 60" and a 52" ZTR and both of us trim when we are done. I have a third mower if I need to use it.

They were paying one of the members to ride around on their tractor, but he got hurt and now they want to see about hiring us. I figure they won't want to spend to much money. When I met with them today. The lady asked me what the ball park price would be? She said $500, $300? I told her it was around $480 but I would have to put a pencil to it. I was the only one they had talked to at that point.

What do you guys think? I can sub it to a friend with a 8' finish mower too if I need too. He is going to go by tomorrow with me to see what he can do it for. I haven't decided if I want to try to bid it were I can make money on it, or let him bid it for me and add $50 per cut for myself.

I usually bid about $60 per acre, but I don't do anything over 2 acres.

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

LOL, I came up with 480.00, too. (first thought was 40 an acre X12)

3. Soupy

Metro, Do you maintain properties this size?

$40 per acre was my thought too. Now that I think of it, I doubt that it really is 12 acres. They have a huge parking lot and the church is pretty big too. The lady just told me it was 12 acres. I'm thinking that is the total of the property and not turf.

I wouldn't know what 12 acres looks like. I also can't really tell how long it would take us either. Like I said, this is new to me. I know it would be nice to land the account. That would equal 12 or so residential customers.

I'm going to try to get by there tomorrow and measure it.

4. Soupy

Do you guys have a rough ball figure of how long it would take just for the mowing. There isn't a lot of trees or anything in the way. It has some hills, but nothing that would really slow us down much. I would be using a 60" Dixie Chopper and a 52" Hustler Z.

I know the time can vary a lot, I'm just looking for a ball park. I'm guessing 4 hours, but I really wouldn't know.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately, all larger acreage goes real low, around here. Anything around 10 acres and up, usually ends up going for around $20 an acre - no lie. There is a munipality near us (Township hall, fire, and ploice dept.) all in one complex, along with a nice park, complete with pavillion and ball fields. It is 20 acres. The winning bid was just under $400.

6. metro-hp_48

from TN

What I would like about it Soupy, as far as being equal to 12 (or so) residentials, is no traveling time. No doubt when the lady said 12 acres, it is the total area. Will be a nice job for you I believe.

Many years ago, I had worked with a man, at a celebritie's estate (actress, country singer, amusment park owner) and I never ask my boss how big the yard was (could ask him now, but he turned into a cr*ckhead, in the last 5 years or so.....and lost it all) BUT, it took us (3) all day to cut. I on a Shind. T-25, he on a 60" front deck Deere (935?), and co-worker on a 52" (or 54") yellow-deck Deere. ALL DAY LONG. No breaks, no lunch, just stopping long enough to fill back up with fuel. Had to do it in 1 day, cause Wed. was the only day it was opened to any type of workers.

*what I thought was so kool, her husband was cutting the "back part" with a tractor/bush hog, and he was cutting all day long, too. Regular man, regular clothes, seemed down-to-earth.

7. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

20 acres for $ 400 somebodys getting a deal

8. metro-hp_48

from TN

......Haven't maintained anything that size in a while, but my personal yard is 10 acres (total) but around 7 acres get cut with my Ford 3000 diesel, and bush hog.

Well, the yard I currently live at, I can weedeat in about 10 mins.
    (My brother lives on the 10 acres.)

9. metro-hp_48

from TN

(couldn't hit the edit button in time.oops)
    Just by the size of your mowers, based on eXmark's figures, a 60" @ 80% efficiency and 5 MPH would cut over 2.5 acre per hour, and a 52" (again 80% and 5mph) would cut over 2 acres an hour. Just to give you a very basic ballpark figure/average. Still should make good money. Good luck with it Soupy. Let us know how it works out.

10. Soupy

I think I would be doing closer to 8 miles per hour. I think 2 of us can do it in 4 hours. But like I said, I have no experience. I know I would like to put some killer stripes on that soccer field. I'll keep you informed.

I'm just debating if I should go lower. I don't think they are going to bite at $480. The lady told me they were paying the member $50 bucks to cut it with the tractor, but that is all he would take. She told me before I gave her a price that she was ashamed of the amount they have been paying. The church looks like it has money, so who knows. I'm going to call her tomorrow and feel her out. I'm at least going to ask her if I can have the opportunity to match any lower bids. Then I can decide what to do at that point. I know I'm not doing it for peanuts.

I don't think there is a lot of guys around here that will even bid on it. I have been hearing that I'm the only guy that answers the phone out of the yellow pages. We have a ton of the small outfits, but not all that many that can handle the larger properties. We don't have a lot of large properties in this area anyway.