12 foot hedges pricing for trim

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by valley boy, Mar 5, 2005.

1. valley boy

valley boy LawnSite Member

A customer wants me to cut his 12 foot high cedar hedges . Mainly on the top only needs on a little trimming on the sides.He will provide scaffolding on wheels to help out . I estimate two guys 8-10 hrs no disposal required.
    he said he paid last guy a couple of years ago $200 bucks , whats fair ???

2. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

10 hours at $20 is $200. If you are using 2guys thats $10 an hour each.
    Doesn't seem like much. Don't foget whos paying for the gas.

Wheeled Scaffold and on grass? I would be careful.

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

in linear feet how much hedges does he have. Height isn't the only concern.

200 linear feet I would laugh hysterically at him.

20 feet I would say sure.

Most people on here charge between $45 -$75 per man hour if that helps. PLUS disposal fees.

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

What's your hourly rate? If you have one, you know whether it's a good deal for you or not. If you don't have an hourly rate, there's a pretty good chance that whatever a homeowner offers you is good for him/her and crap for you.

5. new2nash

new2nash LawnSite Member

Two guys. 9 hrs.= 18 hours labor. The lowest possible man hour rate I could conceive of that could possibly make a profit in even the worst market would be $30 per man hour. If it doesn't pay $500 I'd forget it. My bid, provided I figured on 18 hours labor would be $750. Where's the guy that he paid $200? Licking his wounds from the loss and hiding so the guy doesn't call him again.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

In my area it would go for around 400 bucks if I were lucky. That is why I have fazed out all my shrubbery work except a very few on contract that dont mine paying (gasp) 40 per hour.

7. Mycannon

Mycannon LawnSite Member

8 to 10 hours on some hedges how many acres of hedges are you cutting for 2 guys and you think its 8 to 10 hours I would charge at least 700 to 900. How big are these hedges, and what kind of equipment are you using.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

If I did 18 man hours of work, the bill would be in the $700-800 range.

9. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Valleyboy - private message me, I'll help you out more.. You're in my area..

10. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

At 16 to 20 man hours, count on 20, for a residental? I'd bid around $800, maybe more, maybe less; depends on the terrain and how bad I wanted the work.