12 Hour Work Days???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Feb 4, 2006.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

The idea of this post is to maximize your equipment and profits....

I was figuring instead of running 8hrs x 5days/wkly with 1 crew (who you'll probably end up having to pay overtime to) why not maximize it to run 2 crews on the same equipment three 12's?

i.e. a Mon - Wend crew, then a Thur - Sat crew.

This would eliminate any overtime paid, and fully maximize the investment on your equipment. (ur only making money if its running)

I was also considering as an incentive for your employees you pay 40 for 36 hrs/wk... in other words, they get paid for 40/hrs only if they work the full 36. If a no-show/or late to work... then they only make their hourly wage.
    This will be considered a bonus.

Some states make you pay time & 1/2 anytime over 8hrs of work is performed that day. (but not many)

This is situation assumes that you have the lawns to fill this time ,you dont have to pay time & 1/2 for a 12hr work day, and youre running 1 set of equipment. This is also a 2 man crew.

Pros and Cons please... What do you think???

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

My customers wouldn't be happy with me if I showed up in their yards at 7pm every week. This pretains to residentials... I don't see it being a problem on commercials. Also don't you think the employees would start slowing down after about 8 hours or work per day? I for one woulnd't want to work 12 hour days. I guess this could be good for them if they wanted to get another job to work on their days off though. So both pro's and cons..

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I work 12-15 hour days all summer, gotta make hay while the sun shines.

Anyways, my point was, you might want to check into labor laws. Some places pay overtime for anything over 8 hours, period, regardless if you work over 40 or not.

If you're NOT required to do that, then sure, go for it.

If you ARE required, then you might STILL want to do it. Seems like you usually lose an hour at the beginning and end of each day anyways. While everyone's already at work, keep them working.

4. afftandem

Do u have employees and if u do, on average, how many hrs do they work daily???

And days worked weekly???

I know of some w/ employees where they average 10hrs daily.

5. afftandem

Mentioned in intial post... this will be assuming you dont have to pay overtime.

6. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

The good people want to work a full week. If weather sets you back, one crew is always getting shorted on hours. Around here, If its not a full time job, you get the bottom of the barrel

7. afftandem

Throughout the course of the season.. both should average out to the same amount of time off due to weather.....

You could also come up w/ some rules as to u get $10 bonus for every 12/hrs u work during the week (u can be creative with this and come up w/ something that is an incentive) or an extra hr's pay for each 10 with 4hrs exta for the 36
    10hrs = 1hr's pay bonus
    20hrs = 2 " " "
    30 = 3 " " "
    36 = 4

Also this scenario is with 1 crew working (2 employees)... not u on the lawn..
    during downtime due to rain u can bring in an employee thats not scheduled to work once it clears up to work with u to catch up with the other lawns and get everything back on schedule.

8. afftandem

The good ones will get 40hrs pay...
    and those who dont care that they only worked 2 days will be happy also.

9. afftandem

Pertaining to the "customers not satisfied with showing up at 7p.m everytime." post..

u could change ur route around from going from A to B one week to going from B to A the next week..

also, like on some of my routes.. I can make some minor tweeks (that are not confusing) to adjust certain streets I get at a different time that day than last wk and still be on the same route and schedule without any addition to time.. Mind u, Im in the subarbs of around a city... Rural areas, this would be harder to do.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A bad idea thinking you can work crews 12 hours, better to work harder during a 8 hour shift. And overtime eats at profits quickly.