1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

12 or 18 Auger for tree and shrub planting

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by TWerner, Dec 22, 2013.

1. TWerner

TWerner LawnSite Member

I honestly hadn't thought about that. I just want to avoid digging 120 plus holes, and make it easy for my wife to do the same. She will like being able to plant a tree herself.

Let's say I have someone come out to my house 20 times over the next 2 years, and each time ask them to dig 3 18" holes for trees and 3 for shrubs each time. So 6 holes per visit. No more each time, because I have to run the irrigation hose each time using a modified subsoiler to create the shallow trench.

My final cost for the Auger will run about $600 over 2 years if I choose to sell it for $300. So 600/20 uses = $30 each. Call it $5/hole. I couldn't hire a pro, but I suppose I could hire someone for $30 for that work. It just doesn't seem appropriate. When I hire a landscaper, I try to minimize their trips out to my place as much as possible, but for this project, we won't be able too.

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

FYI we use a 30" for new orchard stock. 18 & 24 are pretty tight.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. TWerner

TWerner LawnSite Member

How big are orchard stock trees?
    I'm only planning to plant 1 - 1 1/2" trees.
    Todd

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Yup. 30" x 24" deep
    Posted via Mobile Device