1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

12 step program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sicnj, Feb 17, 2008.

1. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

i just got done talking with a rep at my local Lesco he is trying to get me to sell a 12 step program to my clients i don't think i can sell such a large package to my clients what do you guys think
  2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Hello, my name is John, and I'm an ________, fill in blank. 12 steps? Never heard of it, and have more than serious doubts that something like that would be saleable or even cost effective.
  3. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ditch the lesco rep, & find someone who doesn't want to pollute the planet.12 steps, WTF!!
  4. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

you should ask him how dead a lawn would be after putting 12 pounds of N down a year, actually if it were me i would get his plan and forward it to the state pesticice beaureau so he would lose his license. Imagine that clown giving that kind of advice to homeowners!!!!!!!!!
  5. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

some LCO's look at me crazy when I say I offer 10. My clients have a choice between 6, 8, and 10. The larger companies around here offer 7-8, true green, scotts, and lawn doctor.

I don't want to go into to much detail about all of my steps, but the first six is the standard fert program, 8 adds lime (dependant on a soil test of course), and 10 adds grub control.

I have about 15% of my clients pick 10, about 35% pick 8, and the other half on 10.

If I could have thought of more steps to offer I would have, I can not imagine what they want you to add to make 12, unless some of them are strictly for tree and shrub. I also have a seperate tree and shrub program.
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I offer 4 apps and if they want to add grub or insect control then it is 5 apps.

My lawns look awesome!

I couldn't imagine offering anymore apps then that!

You are not helping the lawn as much as your wallet if you are offering 10 apps!

I can't see how anyone could offer more then 5-6 apps.
  7. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Is he trying to get you to sell your fertilizer applications separate from your weed control applications? If so that would be 7-8 aps. Add a separate early green up application. Then add gub control application and a perimeter foundation insect control application. Now your up to 10-11. How about preventative disease control? Now your up to a bakers dozen. We haven't even got to the tree root injections yet. Your lesco rep :hammerhead:will put you out of business before you even get going.

I would come up with a better program!
  8. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

We are all in business to make money.

My first year, I offered 5 apps. A split app of dimmension plus the normal 3.

People actually complained that they thought I wasn't doing enough because tru-green did 8 apps. My response the next year was to offer 6 apps.

Still, the new customers looked at me like I was not offering enough (I would explain that they were just out to make more money from more apps, ect) but I finally gave up and offered my current 6/8/10 situation

With the cost of grub control, I am guessing one of your apps costs way more than the rest? I'm just saying that because thats how most guys in my area handle it, you may be different.

My approach is that when they pick 10 apps, the cost of grub control is the same as the rest of my apps. I actually break even on the grub control app, in exchange for them paying for the other nine apps.

My program does not excessivly use fertilizer, pesticides, lime, or insecticides, but it is very profitable and my customers tell me that they have never had the results that they get with my program, especially the ones on 8 or more apps.
  9. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

When do you guys start and stop in your area. That might make a difference for some of us.
  10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If my customers told me that I didn't offer enough apps my response would be:

I am sorry sir...but I am a professional I and know what is best for your lawn. I could do more apps, but you or your lawn wouldn't benefit from them.

I have had to do this! I will take a 6 or 7 app customer and only do 4 or 5.