12" tires on 48 or 52 Lazer HP

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by AuburnGuy, Jun 27, 2004.

1. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I have been looking at either the 48 or 52 lazer hp. I know they come with the 9.5" wide tires, but the book says the 12" is an option. I have a couple of questions. (The dealer did not know it was an upgrade)
    1. is it the same rim but just a wider tire mounted on. Or is it a different rim and tire.

2. how much does the upgrade run?

3. will this help with rutting and things like that or is it a waste of money. Does it do less damage when turning?

thanks for the help.
    Larry

2. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

I just put them on my 52" HP and I will try and answer some of your questions.

1.) You need too change the rim to use a 12" wide tire. The new rim you need is the one that the full size lazers use. If you do a search there is a post that will tell you the part numbers for what you need.

2.) I was told the price from the dealer would be around $300 for both tires and rims. I did not get mine from the Exmark dealer because I did not want to drive 70 miles each way. Instead I orded a set of rims from J-Thomas and a set of tires from a local dealer (not Exmark). The total cost was $220.

3.) They seem to be helping with rutting and I do get better traction on hills. On the downside they are a little easier too tear up the turf with and they do reduce the trim capacity about 1.5 inches on each side.

In my opinion it was a good decision and I would do it again. Since I have had them on I have mowed some areas that would have been impossible to mow before because they were too wet and I would have left ruts. It was money well spent.

Qball

3. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Maybe I can save Terry a bit of typing:

1. It is a different rim.

2. Approx. $75 for each rim. Tires are extra.

3. I would say that the main benefit is for traction. If you buy an aggressive tire, then the more surface area on the ground, the better it will stick to the ground.

A slight negative of a wider tire is that it slightly decreases your trim ability, because the deck does not "stick out" from the tractor quite as much.

4. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

thanks dave. I think i'm going to end up with a ferris anyway.