1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

12" trailer tires weight question...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rfed32, Mar 17, 2009.

1. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

hey guys i have a 6x10 trailer with the 12inch tires and weight wise i was wondering what is the most amount of yards of mulch do you think i can get on it...i have had two on there and never really needed more at once i do a lot of small stuff but want to start looking into some bigger jobs and wanted to know what you guys think the most i can go...the trailer has two foot sides all around...thanks for the help

2. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

the capacity of the tire's should be listed on the sidewall of the tire's !

3. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

well it is but whats a yard of mulch even weigh???

4. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

between 700 and 1200 lb depends how wet !

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a trailer with 5.30X12, C rated tires. I haul three yards of hardwood bark mulch. I consider that load as tops. As somebody noted, the weight depends upon the moisture content. Is the trailer rated at 3,000# GVW?

Most likely, the distribution yard has a scale for trucks. When getting one load, have it weighed, and you will know immediately the weight.

As a side note, the trailer used to have B rated tires. They wore out very quickly. Twice I had B rated tires, and both times the wear was the same. When I bought C rated tires, the wear problem was eliminated. I also learned the same thing with a 6.5X12, single axle trailer with 15" tires. The B rated tires wore quickly, but not so with C rated ones.