1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

12 v drainage problems

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Hamons, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I have hooked up a deep cycle battery to my sprayer trailer to run the electric reel. The battery is hooked to the electric reel motor through a switched relay.

The problem is that my main truck battery has been draining everynight since i have installed the extra battery. However, my rudimentry, but I beleive sound, understanding of 12v electrics doesn't support this. There is no reason for the trailer battery to drain the truck battery -- that I can see.

Even if my trailer and truck are sharing a ground through the hitch -- it still should not drain my truck battery right?

But... what if the relay or the motor on the trailer are drawing a small current? COuld that cause a drain on my main truck battery -- I don't think so -- but maybe?

Any thoughts?

2. LoneStar_Lawns

LoneStar_Lawns LawnSite Member

Sounds like you have two seperate problems. I would have truck checked out.

3. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't got it figured out yet.

I have jusy been unhooking the ground to the sprayer battery and have had no problems. Right now in the middle of seeding time -- I don't ahve an extra few hours to diagnose it.

It's got me baffled.