12 volt impacts for blade removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Apr 23, 2002.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

im the one thats been advocating them so thought id advise .
    the ones at wallys world and some of the other new ones dont hold up like they did when i started using them . my first was used and made in china. but it lasted until i tore it up removing a cross threaded bolt . over a yr. this new one looks like a duck but it anit the the same duck. its working but i get a feelin they made it with an automatic time destruct built in.sounds worse every day.just thought id advise.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This was brought up quite awhile ago, when I was thinking of getting one, and when I did, it was the Makita. Great impact, holding up well, but I still have to first use a breaker bar to break the bolts loose.

3. AndyL

AndyL LawnSite Member

Just out of curiosity, why don't you guys take a tip from the 4 wheeling community...

Those nice york Single piston compressors used on almost every domestic truck until the 80s, for A/C duties, very easily converts to use as an air pump for pneumatic tools!

Just get the freon/whatever sucked out, add on new fittings, run to an air tank, wire the clutch to a switch in the cab (or wherever is convienient) Run the inlet air to a small K&N filter (they make cool ones meant for valve cover breathers that work perfectly) plumb the outlet, to a air tank (1-5 gallons) with fittings for your air tools!

Andy

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Now, I remember reading an article on that, and I forgot completely about that! :rolleyes: That is a sweet little setup! ;)

5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a used 12v Snap-on impact off eBay. It is very strong and I am really glad to have that thing with me during the day. I seem to use it all the time.

If you have bolts to remove in the field or the driveway, it is easy to pull out, pop the socket in, and you are done in a flash.

6. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Snap on is the only way to go

Doug Austreim

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

yea ,if u get a good one it just makes everything simpler ,and will last a long time..
    no doubt . i dont go to mow without mine . just wanted to advise there may be one out there selling that doesnt holdup like they should.campbel hausfield has a pretty good one.