12 volt-Motion sensing spotlights?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Lite4, May 17, 2007.

1. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey guys,

I received a request today that was a new one to me. I had a gal who has a husband over in Iraq ask me if I could put some spotlights on the back of her house with a motion sensor since she is alone with her kids, she wants to know if someone should walk into their back yard at night. I have never heard of a 12 volt motion sensor, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. I'm sure one of you guys have probably run into this before.

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

A motion sensor is just a switch and should work on line or low voltage. You can also look into the Nightscaping Dominator. It allows for a motion sensor.

3. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Are you looking to control all of the lights (the transformer), or just one or two?

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

motions sensors work on low voltage? hmm...footlighters/pathlighters that turn on as you approach and turn off behind you, interesting...bulb life goes way up...hmm....

5. Lite4

Just looking to control 2 lights.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I looked on ebay for motion sensor, after sifting I am gonna buy and see if they work at low voltage. they might, as I suspect, need a 120volt feed since they are more of an active circuit than a photo cell.

I'm not sure. there are some battery motions that turn on led's, so those are not 120 volt. most are built into a fixture.

7. Lite4

Yeah, I'm sure there has to be something out there. Maybe it wasn't intended for our market but would still work. I'll try and do some more research too.

8. Lite4

Thanks Paul, I will look into the nightscapes product to see if it is the right fit for this application.

9. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

just completed a job where 2 of the 6 lights were tied to a motion sensor. PM for details and brand name

10. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Have you seen the sprinkler heads that have motion sensors to turn them off when you walk by? They have to be low voltage.