12 yard mulch job...Am I high?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by BINKY1902, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

Hey fellows, I am mostly a mowing guy because I stay so busy I don't have time for mulch jobs, but one came up and it would be nice to get off of the mower for a day. Anyway, I maintain beds for some of my maintenance customers, but really most of my customers like to do their own beds. The beds I maintain are quite small. This will be the largest mulch job I've done, and the customer really likes my work on other jobs so they want me to do it. It took a couple of weeks but I am able to get a day open for them. I came out with a price of $900 for 12/yds of cedar mulch installed. That's $75 per yard installed. Seems like a fair price to me, and would net me about the same amount as I would make mowing for a full day. It will be myself and a helper completing the work. I normally don't check out what others are currently charging, but I want my prices to be fair, because I don't do mulch jobs every day. Thanks guys.

Edit: The beds are almost bare now, so very little prep work will be involved. The beds are pretty thick with larger plants, so there will be a high amount of mulching around obstacles involved.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. catslandscape

catslandscape LawnSite Member

I have a set price of around $4.50 per 2cf bag delivered and installed. Some say I'm high and some say I'm low. So at 13.5 2cf bags per cubic yard you are looking at around 165 bags, or $742. In my neck of the woods yours is a reasonable price.

Good luck!

3. stephen424

stephen424 LawnSite Senior Member

depends on how much you're getting the cedar for. cedar is usually the highest of the mulches here in charlotte, around $34/yard contractor price. i charge $30/yard for labor.

and don't forget the $60 - $75 delivery charge

4. wiselandscaping

wiselandscaping LawnSite Member

That's a decent price for an installed yard of cedar mulch at a residence.
    You can make sure your price is where it needs to be by adding up all of your expenses (mulch costs, labor, fuel, delivery fee if you're having it trucked to the site, worker's comp, overhead, etc.) and subtracting that from what you're going to charge. Once you have figured out how much you'll clear, divide that number by what you are going to charge the consumer. That is your gross profit percentage. We usually shoot for a 35%-40% gross profit margin.

I hope this helps. :usflag:

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would probably charge $900 if there is no prep work and little to mulch around. Yes I understand there will be bushes, but I mean alot of perennials to go around.

6. RIprop

RIprop LawnSite Member
    from RI

We charge about a 100/yd installed up here. We're on the higher end of the pricing spectrum but it does include edging and prep. work. Sometimes it can be higher.. all depends on the property layout (hills, tough gates, lots of small plants to work around, etc.)

I would say your price sounds fair, but it all depends on your area and I don't know what pricing is like around there.

7. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I'm at $1020.

8. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm going to be charging $75 for delivery. I think I'm at a fair price. I just set my normal rate to the job, plus supplies, minus what I charge out for my mower running. I used to have time to do a decent amount of landscaping work, but with a full mowing route I no longer do. I actually installed one of the large beds on this job I'm referring to. I put it in a few years ago for them, and also done some retaining wall work for them. I just have moved more towards the mowing side and normally have to pass on the this type of stuff now, which is why I wanted to check and see if my prices are still competitive. I even have a rig that I bought just for landscaping work, an older 454 dually with a 16" trailer, but it just stays parked because I run my mowing route with a more fuel efficient setup.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  9. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I know how long these jobs take so if I can't make what I do mowing for the day its not worth it. Some people say mulching makes great money compared to mowing lawns. I can't say that about us because our routes are so tight. I'd rather mow and go all day.

10. stephen424

stephen424 LawnSite Senior Member

its simple man....
    you've set the price @ $900....so figure profit from there.

the materials are going to cost you $420

that leaves you $480. get someone to help you spread it. two guys can spread 12 yards in 2 hours. if you're going to add delivery, cool...or is that included in the $900?

pay your helper whatever you're going to pay him and pocket the rest.

if you pay him $50...you pocket $430 for 3 hours of work
    *2 hour spreading, 1 hour going to get the mulch....
    * or if you're having it delivered, $430 for 2 hours of work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.