1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

12 year old LOW BALLING

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wagil, Jun 28, 2013.

Whats the minimum average charge in your area.

1. 10

1 vote(s)
  2. 20

8 vote(s)
  3. 25

16 vote(s)
  4. 30

16 vote(s)
  5. 35

19 vote(s)
  6. 40

8 vote(s)
  1. wagil

wagil LawnSite Member

I just got home, and was checking the mail box for mail. It was early in the day and the mail lady hadn't made it down our street yet. But what I did find was a flyer. XYZ Mowing Service. The letter reads as follows.

I am a 12 year old kid trying to earn extra money. I have been mowing yards for the past four years.

I am offering a package deal to mow and trim an average yard for $10 Any size bigger or smaller we can discuss price.

thank you.

Now in my area $30 is just about what it takes to off load the trailer. I'm tempted to take him up on it.
  2. poncho62

poncho62 LawnSite Member

Industrious kid.....a bit naive though.....I am sure he will learn quickly that $10 a crack is way too cheap and he will slack off and get canned.......Of course at $10, you wouldnt mind a crappy job
  3. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if you should take him up on it or not but he's got no bills and no overhead so $10 is probably just fine to him. I say more power to him. Capitalism (free market) at its finest. I think I mowed my first lawns for about the same price when I was his age. Granted that was back in the 80s.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Marshmallow

Marshmallow LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

He can't be making much at that rate. I would hire him!
  5. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

We have guys who charge $25 an hour to $40 minimum. I try for no less than $30. Some lawns are 10 minutes. I get $25 for those. Vacation mows for me are 35 or more depending on if I have time. My prices are before sales tax.

I hope your not worried about a 12 year old taking business away. How much can he get done any way. Wait til it gets hot and humid.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. C & T Landscaping

C & T Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly what I'm thinking, As long as you do quality work then you should be fine, once the customers that used him see how bad the yard looks after he is done, they will call you right back.
  7. cinco1

cinco1 LawnSite Member
    from neo

First thought - right on for a young kid with such work ethic! He's hitting a market niche.

Second tought - do you need a helper? Might be a good opportunity to get what appears to be a hard working kid with desire. Might be someone you can train to become a future foreman on another crew.
  8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

What will the kid do for the next 4-6 years until he can legally run a mower/trimmer?
  9. C & T Landscaping

C & T Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

File papers, do taxes, ya know...all that :p
  10. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

:drinkup: never thought of that....... :laugh: