12 year old LOW BALLING

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wagil, Jun 28, 2013.

?

Whats the minimum average charge in your area.

1. 10

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. 20

8 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. 25

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. 30

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  5. 35

19 vote(s)
    27.9%
  6. 40

8 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Gee I love being in a business where 12 year olds can do what I do. :dizzy:
    He should go wash cars instead.

2. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

Heck I would hire him to do my yard. Good way for him to stay busy over the summer. He market radius is quite small considering he has to walk to every job or drive a tractor.

3. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think that we can assume that the kid doesn't check the oil level. When I started with my little "business" (as I said, at 6 or 7 yrs old) that's the first thing my dad taught me to do.

My dad is (at 89 yrs old and going strong), and was, very big on maintenance. I was taught that you should check the oil even before you check to see how much gas is in the tank. I never, and I mean never started the engine without first checking the oil. I did this because I knew what would happen to me if I burned the engine up because I was too lazy to check the oil!

If this young man isn't too lazy to work out in the hot sun for very little money, I'll bet he isn't too lazy to check the oil before starting! :) I wish him luck!

4. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

My dad never showed me any of that stuff. I taught my kid everything I could possibly think of. I applaud the kid for trying to make a go of it. I don't think that most people want the liability issues that are presented when hiring a kid. Some of my customers have been burned in the past by unlicensed people.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah for petes sake don't worry about a kid making a dime. Maybe he can take some of those crappy looking lawns off your hands so you can do better ones.

6. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Great for him. I hope he sticks with it. Did the same thing when I was his age. Back then I had no idea what the market was for cutting a lawn and charged about the same.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I don't see a 12 year old as a lowballer, just a kid trying to make some money is all.

8. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Thinking a 12 year old is a lowballer and can't check oil, is imo pretty funny. Meanwhile he has supposedly been cutting lawns for 4 years and has the initiative to make up and distribute a flyer that sounds good and professional. Sure makes it seem like the kid has got it going on for himself. I hope he kicks butt and makes a great business for himself.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I took a flier off of one of my clients doors that was similar. It had the $10 crossed off and a note on it that said he could do that specific lawn for $5.

10. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

Stars & Stripes Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

Like others have said, good for him - I'm glad a kid has taken the initiative. Wouldn't be a bad idea to see how he is progressing then possibly hire him on.