12 year old mowing Apartment complex?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toroguy, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, he couldn't have been more than twelve years old operating a Wright Stander! I almost caused an accident doing a double take. Kid was mowing a smaller apartment complex. Pretty risky Man! Kid was doing OK, but...

2. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

I would be interested to know if the owner of the complex knows about the kid mowing. We plow for an apartment complex, and it was the manager that hired us. We have no idea who the owner is, other than it is a corporation in IL. My point being that the manager probably has it in the budget to hire for lawn care and found a way to get it done really cheap. I can't see any responsible property owner hiring a kid that young when you have so much liability to consider. You know the kid doesn't carry insurance, and if he is employed by an actual lawn care company, their insurance wouldn't cover someone that age operating heavy equipment.

If I were you...Well, I think you can take it from there.

PS - I have an 11 year-old son, and he is not allowed to use any of our commercial equipment (at our own home, of course). If he works with us (very, very rare...when he wants to earn money to buy something we'll "hire" him for a short work day), his job is to pick up sticks or trash. I think it is unprofessional to have a kid out there working at that age. Also unfair to the kid.

3. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

not to mention the state would have a fit over child labor like that.... someone could really get in hot water.

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

11 isnt that young! I owed my first commercial w/b mower and a truck by time I was 11. I certainly think a little work and responsibility is a good thing for an 11 year old. And dont assume that 12 year old is doing it that cheap;)

At that age My prices were higher then most of the established LCO's in my area. I took pride in my work and was paid good for that!

I will agree with the liability aspect though of this situation. At that age I was only doing residential work and homeowner insurance would have coverd eerything if a accident would have occured. People sure were trusting of me considering my young age.....doubt Id ever hire an 11 year old to do work at my house;)

5. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

You can't totally believe he's 12. Looks can be deceiving...

6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Kid is prolly the complex owner/managers son, earning his lunch money. Ya didnt see a truck/trailer by any chance did ya?

7. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

i asked my dad for some money at like age 11 and he told me to go get a job so i started push mowing my neighbors lawn. That was 10 years ago. Best thing that could of happen to me, gave me pride and responability.

i agree with the insurance, a little scary.
    peace
    bryan

8. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

More power to the kid for working for some money!! We all started somewhere. I started mowing for others at 12, but not with commercial equipment. By 13 I was helping farmers and driving old Farmall H & M model tractors. While a stander might be a bit much, depending on the individual a 12 to 13 year old can handle power equipment as long as they are trained and given limits. Would I hire one to work for me? No. Am I pleased to see a 12 year old working. Yes. JD

9. DaBeerMan

DaBeerMan LawnSite Member
    from Philly

I agree with Got Grass

Some of the complexes I used to do had their own lawn stuff.
    They usually go buy good stuff... use it till it needs to be fixed for the 20th time & figure it's better to just hire an LCO than keep fixing it!
    Same with Snow removal... new truck... nice setup... everything is great till the maint guy is busy one night when it needs to be plowed. Manager gets 60 calls the next morning :blob2: then calls you to plow from then on.

Cheers

10. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I also assumed the lad was a younger brother or relative of the Lawn outfit that does the maintenance there. No way they would contract with a 12 year old!