Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toy2, May 24, 2005.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

While trimming hedges at a job today, acros the street, truck and trailer pull up from one of the bigger LCO. 4 HB2 guys get out....start working, 12 minutes later.....done with it all....the yard had to be at least 14,000 feet or bigger...freaked me out....2 minutes were spent loading and unloading.... :dizzy: Welcome back Bobby G,
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

here is the deal with that: 4 men=12 minutesx4 men= 48 "man minutes". do you think they were getting $55-$65 for that lawn? i doubt it. but, that's what they should have been getting, at least. this is another perfect example of bigger companies driving prices down. the owner of this company probably needs to generate $3000 a day, to pull a meager days pay. you should have looked at them and laughed
  3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

No more than $30.00 to $35.00, that's what they are willing to pay in that area.....I just focused on my own crap after that....
  4. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I was thinking, hang out and wait for that co's going out of business auction.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Those 4-man crews can knock out a ton of lawns when they have several at one stop, but when they drop the gate for just one lawn, it's not the most efficient set-up. I used to see a 4-man crew last year at one house, 2 guys to mow, one to trim/edge/blow, the other guy would stay in the truck and read the paper...
  6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Dido bobby! 4 guys at probably $8-$10 per hr. they can bust out aprox.3-4 lawns an hour even at $35/lawn the owner is still making $100.00 per hour x 8 hrs.= $800.00 x say 3 crews=$2400.00 not a bad days pay!
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

at $8-$10 an hour, with 4 employees, he's not MAKING $100 an hour. lets look at the 4 man crew based on $10 an hr, and an 8 hr day. if you are paying an employee $10 an hr, he is costing you around $13 an hour. so the crew costs $13 per hr, times 8 hrs, times 4 men. the crew is costing you $416 a day, on an 8 hr day. if they can do 3 lawns an hour, in 7.5 hrs (30 minute lunch), that's about 22 lawns a day x $35=$770. $770-$416=$354. now, i have old trucks, and walkbehinds, and i know, that after payroll, it still costs me about $60 a day to operate. my guess is the 4 amigos are driving around in a big, gas guzzling truck, with expensive equipment . i'd have to say this mans operating costs are at least 2.5 times what mine are, after payroll. so lets go $354 minus $150= a meager $204 a day. the abuse the unsupervised amigos put on the equipment, and the damage to the properties they cause (broken fence, etc), will quickly take care of that remaining $204 a day. and, if you can't work for a few days because of rain, you can't lay your employees off, you need to keep them busy, so now they are scraping decks, and changing oil (non productive in a $$$ way), then, when the rain stops, and you need to get caught up, that 3 lawns an hour will easily go down to 2 lawns and hour, and you'll be paying overtime ($19.50 an hour) per employee, to get caught up. no thank you, i'll stay small, and make money
  8. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

They might not have that many lawns that are all by themselves. They may cut 5 homes in most areas. SO they could be just starting on that street and waiting for more to come so i would have to say watch out for that customer b.c they could be switching soon. It might be the owners mother's house and he just sends them to do that. You have to think before you type b.c you dont know what the owner is doing. I hope he isnt that dump to send a 4 man crew to one yard in each neighberhood. And 12 min for a 4 man crew sucks should of been more like 8 min.
  9. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

I couldn't have written it any better. You said it all with that post.
  10. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

I saw a four man crew the other day and they were gone in about 6 minutes on a lawn which was about 5,000 sq ft. They had one guy, the owner, on a 52 ZTR, another guy had a 36 inch walk behind in the back yard...the other guy edged and blew, the last guy weedeated. If you can get enough in one area...this can be effcient I think. They probably got 30-35 bucks for this too