1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

120 acres for $1285

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by one man gang, Mar 26, 2006.

1. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

Just saw the winning bid for the parks in this town about 22 stops, from 22 to 1/4 acres. 2 crews with a couple of 60" standers and a tractor with a 72" Kabota. Just over $10 per acre. Can this outfit make money on this? These are the actual figures,I kid you not.
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

All I have to say is good luck to them!!!!!! They can have it.:)
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

After 13 years, nothing surprises me anymore :confused:

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Not counting all the expenses,the fuel is killing all of us they will lose on that job,when i fuel the truck $50 and up the mowers around that to.
  5. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I see it as cheap. But they will probably do "ok". It seems like they are setup with the right equipment to get the job done quickly.

~$60-80 per hour per crew is not terrible imo.
  6. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

why take a job for that little money? it will take up most if not all of the week. They could go out and do 30-40 residentials, make the same with double or triple the profit. Thats why I love my residentials, they are loyal and bottom line is I make more money off them. Another great thing about residentials is if I lose one its no big deal, lose a big account like that for a small operation and it is a big deal.
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

What about trimming and edging? Anything else have to be done? There can't be any fat in there.
  9. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

I went and got a bid packet for the public schools for 2006 and after seeing last years winning bids I decided not to turn in one because the LCO's that won most of last years bids were doing them for about 12.75 an acre, they can have it, if they are still around and if not there will be somebody else just like them who won the bid.
  10. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

For 120 acres no way, Thats giving away work for free.