1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

120 or 240 welding machines

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by plow kid, Dec 1, 2001.

1. plow kid

plow kid Banned

I am thinking about buying a deicent welder and I am thinking about the Lincoln 225 amp stick that they have at home depot, but my problem is that I do not have a 220/240 line in the garage, and I have a habit of letting the smoke excape out of electrical wires :rolleyes: so I want to avoid running a new line. the most of the material I will be working with will be in the 10 gauge to 3/8" area, ( I could probably Vee it out and layer passes with a 120 stick but I wouldnt be able to trust it)any input Rob??
  2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Other than my little MIG, I admit I don't have much experience with 120 volt welding machines. IMO, I'd be a little reluctant to get into much fabbing on material over 3/16" thick with one. You're right that you CAN vee your connections out & use multiple passes (same concept, just on a larger scale, applies to a lot of the heavy repair welding done with stick) but that tends to get old fast when you're building something.

I definitely cast my vote in favour of the 220 volt stick machine, I also understand your being concerned about running a 220 line!

What about having the 220 line professionally installed? I know it's $$$ up front, but in the long run might be worthwhile.
  3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

you don't have a 240 line for a dryer nearby?
  4. Lance Takara

Lance Takara LawnSite Member

I recommend going with the 220 line. Have it installed properly. The time you will save as well as having it safely installed will be worth the expense. Also, in the long run, running the 220 will let you make single passes for your welds. You will waste your time running multiple passes (especially with the stick compared to the MIG)

However, unless you are going to be welding on a daily basis, go with the stick. The wire feed on the MIG will possibly corrode and jam your feeder rolls.

Lastly, stick will probably give you better penetration than a MIG welder in most cases.
  5. Lance Takara

Lance Takara LawnSite Member

I forgot to add that here in Hawaii we have a relatively high humidity and that is what affects the wire feed rolls.

Your area may have low humidity so this issue may not be a problem for you
  6. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

GET the line installed . BY A PRO.