1200hrs too many?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Turtle Creek Lawn Care, May 28, 2008.

1. Turtle Creek Lawn Care

Turtle Creek Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Is a mower that is well maintained and in good running condition bad when it has 1200 hours. Would this be a bad mower to buy?

Thnaks
    Ryan

2. slone

slone LawnSite Member

What Type Of Mower And What Size Motor?

3. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

kawis properly maintened last from 1800-3000 hours. personally i only use kawis so do not know about the others. so depends on price and the rest of the machine even if the engine goes new engines are not too expensive

4. Turtle Creek Lawn Care

Turtle Creek Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Its a 23 hp Kohler Command Pro

How do these hold up?

Thanks
    Ryan

5. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

We have run 25 and 28 Kohlers to 2400 hrs before trading them in with no problems , but the are weak at that point.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Well if it has been well maintained and is in good condition, than I would say go for it.

But how do you know if it has been well maintained. Shinny paint doesn't = maintenance.

So if you don't really know...I would try an find something with under 350 hours.

7. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen mowers with 1200hrs look good and Ive seen mowers with 100hrs look like they fell off the trailer doing 70!

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

1200 hrs isnt too many, pending the maintenance performed on it. It would be a gamble. I have seen mowers with 300hrs look and run like shyt and ones with 1500 hrs look almost showroom and run like it too. Maintenance will always be the key variable to used equipment.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

That's what I'm saying...It may look good and run like crap, and It may look like crap and run good-haven't seen to much of that though.

But yea totally...there are mowers in better shape with plenty more hours than say newer machines with less than 350.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I would be more concerned with the spindles, pumps and motors, general wear and tear, tires, the list goes on and on. Todays engines generally will outlast the mower.

At 1200hrs, your well on to more than half it's life expectancy. All the bad stuff starts happening at this point in it's life. Thats why it's good to rotate every couple years or between 1500-2000hrs. After that they nickel and dime you to death, and your better off selling it and going with another ZTR with newer technology.