1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

120V welders at Lowes

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by FrankenScagMachines, Mar 10, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I need a welder but canNOT get 230V to my garage no way at all. Dad's the electrician around here and he says it is impossible. So I have to resort to a 120V welder and was looking at the ones at Lowe's. They have Lincoln wire welder that welds upto 1/8" for $267 with a one year warranty. Then there is a better one that welds upto 1/4" steel for $327 with a 3 year warranty and a training video. They don't have any cheap stick welders. That is fine with me I just hate to spend $327 but I'm sure I'll like the wire feed. I will want to go for the $327 one with 1/4" capacity I guess. So my question is will it do fine for me? I rarely need to weld over 1/4" and if I do I can go to my neighbor's and use his 230V Lincoln stick welder.
    thanks,
    Eric

2. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the Lincoln for $327 - you won't be sorry! In a pinch a couple of years ago I had to get a similar unit from a large hardware store over a holiday weekend to do an emergency repair.

It was one of the best damm tool purchases I ever made. I do 90% of me welding with it. It's get you through a lot more than you may think. Although mine was a flux-core/MIG welder, I've never really used the MIG set-up and it has welded some very heavy stuff and also some fairly delicate stuff too. Good luck - you really can't go wrong with it - spend the extra $80 to get the bigger one, it'll be worth it.

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks :) Good to hear from someone with experience with that one.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Last year I bought a mig welder from Harbor Freights for $200 (you can catch them on sale for $159). It's not a Lincoln, but a Chicago Electric brand. It's claims to weld up to 1/4". I built a side gate for my trailer with not much problems. Only a couple of downfalls:

1) It only holds 1lb. spools of wire.
    2) If you do a lot of continuous welding, it will shut down (like it has overheated) and kick back on after about 15 minutes.

Even though it has served it's purpose well, I think if I would have to do it all over again, I would probably go with the Lincoln that you spoke of.

MATT

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks Matt. I'm not really going for it because of it's brand but maybe it has features your Chicago Electric one doesn't.

6. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a perfectly good welder and if it comes with video lessons, it's a great deal. I might suggest getting the small bottle and do the "gas" thing. It's cleaner and since you will only use occasionaly not too many $ for gas. You will have it for many years. Great for lawncare and trailer stuff.

Mark

7. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i just got done redoing my trailer gates today with that same welder. After getting a wirefeed i will never use stick again. It is so much easier and faster. You will like it.

8. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

B H B , get the better one , for outside use you have to use flux core wire , lots of smoke and slag on welds . You can use bare wire for inside shop use with a shielding gas i. e . argon . If you use bare wire with argon outside you'll get a weld full of pinholes .
    The weld needs protection with a shielding gas , the protection is built it to fluxcore wire , no gas needed . Pay real close attention to the safety part . Eyes at least a # 10 shade in welding helment.
    Dont try to show out like they do on t v with no hood , that method though not approved as safe is for very experienced welders . Fire , real issue 1 spark arroud gasoline and kaboom .Grinding also use a grinder that shuts off when you let go of the trigger , and safety glasses always !

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks guys. Lawntek, you completely lost me! I don't know anything about welders really except that I have alittle stick 120V buzz box. It says it does upto 1/4" plate steel and I drug it out today and messed with it. It will weld 1/8" angle iron fine enough so I may stick it out a while with it as I don't want to spend $330 if what I have works... well... I may still because there's times I could use it but, well lets say I'm just debating it is all... 1/8" is about all the thicker I usually need to go so what I have may work ok for now. I can afford the new one and will have enough work to do with it to pay for itself but if I can get by with what I have and pocket the money I may do that instead.
    Thanks and I'll update you as to if I get it or not.
    Eric

10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

have you considered going with an oxygen-acetylene set, you get the cutting ability also:blob2:

Harbor Freight has some Hobart's you might be interested in, I would check the Chicago Electrics Too, the have a wide variety to choose from.