1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$125/A for weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Athletic field, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Athletic field

Athletic field LawnSite Member

I have a buddy in the pittsburgh area. He is getting $125/A for weed control only. Think he's using momentum. He's at $125/A for around 20 acres. Anyone else charging that?
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

For 20 acres I can barely get that for fert and chem!

You friend is doing well!

For weed control only, I can get between $80-90.

I use 3-Way so I am still making killer money at that price!
  3. Athletic field

Athletic field LawnSite Member

I use a generic called vessel. It contains Trimec. I get it for $65.00/2.5gal jug,or $26/gal.
  4. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Vessel is three-way, MecAmine-D, or Trimec, all contain the same formulation. I but it by the 30 gal drum and can spray it for 0.20/1000 Sq. Ft. at the mid rate. I use it after I have cleaned up the properties with either Speed-Zone or Momentum Fx. I get about $100.00 acre for weed control, but if it was 20 acres I would lower it.
  5. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I'm getting $200.00/a for fert and weed control. I won't do weed control only.
  6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

If you are the only one in the area equipped to do big areas or who the customer knows about you get what the are willing to pay. Know your market and charge accordingly. 175.00 acre at 10 acres/hour. That is nice. I would do only weed control at those rates all day and every day.
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I would to....but the only problem is finding them who would pay you to! :laugh:

If I charged over $90 for weed control only...I would NEVER get any work! Just like you say, you have to know your market but I also think it is smart long term not to take advantage of people.

If you are charging someone $175/ac and then someone talks to them down the road with a "more reasonable price" such as $90 and you are using the same product then they will know they have been taken advantage of.

Guess I would rather be fair to everyone and keep my great name then make some quick cash. Just my take!
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I just ordered Chemicals and then ran my per acre chemical cost at current prices. Now true my issues here in Florida are different than cool season. My cost per acre for fert & squirt is now over $ 200.00. The biggest property I do is 7K, so with my minimum charge I still have a margin that is getting smaller each time I buy chemicals. Since my price is already high, I am holding off raising them.
  9. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric my costs are similar to yours using best product available for best results.

I too have been holding off on the BIG price increase, and have stuck to the usual 3-5% annual increase.

If the market continues as currently, The Turf Charges will go up at least 10% in 09'.

Still foscuing on quality, so I may only lose 1 or 2.

10. stressed

stressed LawnSite Member

100 dollars an acre here.Also use vessel generic trimec,works great