1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

125 Cubic yards of Hardwood

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Country Club, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Country Club

Country Club LawnSite Member

Quoted a home owner $4,000 for everything, install and delivery included.
    10,000 square feet of mulch beds on his property.
    125 cu. yds. at 4" deep
    Does this sound right?
    Would appreciate any help.

2. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

How much are you paying for the mulch? Seems kinda low to me. You are only charging $32 per yard installed. Thats how much I pay for the mulch at my nursery.
    Jhawk71

3. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like your low to me. What's your cost for the mulch?

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Even if your getting the mulch free it is too low. I am charging $56/yd installed right now and I'm paying 11. That means I'm making $45/yd profit. If I charged $32/yard installed that means I would be giving them a $13 discount plus the price of the mulch, don't see how you can make any money only charging that, atleast I can't here. If I were you I think I would have subbed it out to a blowing company and made me about $10 per yard profit and called it a day.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We did one a number of years ago that was 300 yards. Job went for about 20 grand if I remember right.

6. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Country

If I was you I would start hooping that I dont get the go ahead on this job. That is a LOT of humping mulch around for only making $12 to $21 per yard that you install.

I would hate to have to do all of that work for that little profit. How much are you paying for the mulch and how much is the delivery costing you per truck hauling it in?

7. Country Club

Country Club LawnSite Member

Paying $10/ yard.
    I thought it might be low; but the rest of the bid included different plantings and such that I could make more $ on.
    Thanks for everyone's help.

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ya too low most def.

9. TerraVenture

TerraVenture LawnSite Member

If you feel you are making money than go with that price. The question I have for everyone is who uses hardwood mulch. Up here in New England we only use softwood mulches, pine, cedar, and hemlock. For those who use hardwood do you have access to softwood? I pay anywhere from $20 to $32 per yard depending what supplier I use and what product I use.

10. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

$7500.00.....you are way too low