1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

125 Cubic yards of Hardwood

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Country Club, Mar 16, 2005.

1. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

His point is,the truck and tools used to do the job is part of the overhead.If you hire people,take all that off the profit too.Mulch in this area is a low margin
    part of the business cause all people need is a pickup -or traiker ,wheelbarrow,
    and shovel,fork,rake ,and broom.I can make far more mowing than messing with mulch.
  2. packmate81

packmate81 LawnSite Member

yes i know....lol...

id be more than happy to come down and run with you anytime, to help or whatever....im about the dollar, and the way competion is on my other stuff i just like to keep things moving.

most of my installs are over 32/yd but i get a lot of landscpe supplies from chicago area, so it makes it worth it to do something....
  3. gaulk

gaulk LawnSite Member

Foz is right 7500 60$ per yard no edging we pay 14$ per yard
  4. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

99% of our work is from landscapers plus this is all we do. We are not affiliated with any landscaping company... Independently owned. We run four eb-60 trucks and we keep them pumping, still waiting to start things going this year!!!!
  5. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

I think your numbers are off, unless your doing a new beds at 4" deep. Most of my spring clean up jobs consits of 2" layer over last years faded and degraded mulch. Unless it's newly cut bed, then i'd do a 4" layer. Installed at $40-45 bucks a yard. Material cost is 18 a yard delivered. Figuring a guy can haul and spread about 2-3 yds an hour. That breaks down to a pretty good hourly after expenses. Depending on the how far ya haulin it around the yard. Bed edging i'd base it on an estimated rate of how much can you and or your guys edge in an hour times 40- 50 hourly rate. Don't forget the weed pre-emergence. Gotta keep the weeds and grasses outta that big of beds.
    Good luck!
  6. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

Groundcover Solutions,
    You guys must be starting a little late this year on your season - our season started a few weeks ago, although the grass is just now starting to grow a little. I do not know about you guys up there, but we tend to see a big influx of business (or at least interest) in subbing out mulch work whenever the grass starts growing. How about you guys?
  7. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

$ 7,735............. based on 119 yards
  8. new2nash

new2nash LawnSite Member

My bid would be $7,000 and that includes discounting due to the large volume. :)
  9. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I get my mulch for $25.00 incl tax and delivery, and charge $45 to $52 P/CY installed. I can typically do 3 Cy p/HR by myself. Large scale Beds with larger shrubs and few small flowers I can do about 4-5 CY p/Hr solo.
    At $45.00 I get $56000.. You are charging $32.00 P/Cy ?? Seems very low.
    I try to get around $25.00 p/Cy for an install rate.
  10. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep I figure we well be rolling in a week or so! Last year we did not start till a week into april which just killed us. So hopefully we can get rolling a little sooner this year and maybe strech out the season a little. Also as soon as the grass starts growing we do get a good influx in biz I know the calls have picked up now that it is getting warmer.