125yrd Mulch bid

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by OrangeToys, Jun 12, 2010.

1. OrangeToys

OrangeToys LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW MO

Yes the title is correct.

So first question what would you charge for 125yrds?

Next I might have a guy with a tractor and 3 others to help, how much do i add on to cover for his tractor and employees?

I have my number for me to install the mulch, but I can't figure out what to pad for the tractor and 3 others.

Thanks any imput is appreciated.

2. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, heres what ya do materials + Labor + equipment = your cost then markup all these and arrive at your total price for customer.

How much is your mulch? Thats gonna be over a truckoad more like 1 1/3 loads.

How much are you paying the 3 other guys? all the same or different wages?

How much are you paying the tractor owner for use of the machine?

didnt i see your truck at John DeereLandscapes In Nixa a few weeks back?

Do you already have a mulch supplier?

3. OrangeToys

from SW MO

Well from what I can figure I am gonna have to meet with the other guy Monday sometime to see what kinda of deal he wants to make if i get it.
    I know he pays employees about $15-$20/hr (i think) and $100 to run the tractor.

I don't know if you saw me or not. I haven't been there for a while do to lack of landscape jobs, So i have been mowing mostly. Johne Deere said they could deliver the mulch from their supplier and the guy that may help has a supplier he said.

4. OrangeToys

from SW MO

How would you present this job to the customer in writting? Should I write out a page letter stating what is being done or what?

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I first figure out my materials cost and just dbl it. So if I get mulch for $24 a yard and 125 yrds is $3000 then I take my materials and double it and that's my final cost. I would wright out what that all includes in the estimate and break it down for the customer.

Also make sure you ask for a deposit on materials, that way you don't get screwed.

6. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

10000 grand total!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Are you bidding against anyone else?

Any idea about what the going rate is in your area?

Brilliant as always.

What if the going rate in his area is $40\yard?

What if it's $100\yard?

What if his costs for material and labor are $80\yd?

What if his costs are $20 per yard?

Ignorant answer as usual aj.

Do you have any mulch blowing companies in your area? I wouldn't even contemplate spreading 125 yds by hand. I have a sub that all I have to do is make a call, give him the details, he sends me an invoice, I send the customer an invoice and I can make close to 40% on the work without touching a pitchfork or rake.

8. beegreenlandcare

beegreenlandcare LawnSite Member

Sub It!!!!! Its pretty plain and Obvious (to me at least) that you are simply NOT set-Up to do the job.
    Many of these guys who have blowers are just starting up and their mrk-up is NOt that bad. Try finding a sub, you can still make money and (as mentioned) not have to bust YOUR a$$!

9. SuperDuty335

SuperDuty335 LawnSite Member

125 yds isn't that much to handle if you have 4+ guys and you can get reasonably close to the beds, etc. With 4 guys you can have it finished in 2 days.

10. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

thats a nice sized job. i wish i had just one of those!