$13.00 for a stihl wrench?????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by locallawncare.ca, Sep 2, 2014.

1. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

So I went to my local Stihl dealer today(stephenson's rental) to get a new stihl wrench as I have broken 2 recently, one had the torx head twisted and was no longer able to pull a bolt and the second one the head literally broke off while removing a screw from a trimmer. I brought the broken one with me and was expecting to get a new one free of charge, nope, nope, nope. I will mention that I have about 7 pieces of stihl equipment and have purchased them all from this dealer, also there were times when I purchased a machine and didn't get a wrench but was fine because I had a few at the time anyways. Is this normal for anyone else? The person at the dealer is someone I have never seen before, there is one or two guys that are the usual guys I see, sometimes I won't go to the dealer for a few months at a time so it's not like they know me personally, but come on now, this just seems crazy. So anyways I walked outta there with nothing and went home to rank about it on Lawnsite. If it was 3 bucks or something I likely would have bought it just because but $13.00 seems crazy, so I kept my dignity and walked outta there feeling betrayed, I guess I will use a torx head on a socket when I need it.

2. doobs41378

doobs41378 LawnSite Member

Plus 30% sales tax in Canada right?

3. locallawncare.ca

from Ontario

13% sales tax, It's not the price, it's the principle, I had the broken one with me, and they literally had a small bucket of them on the back shelf.

4. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Is there only One Stihl dealer in all of Ontario?. Not all dealers are alike and since you still have the power of choice maybe it's time to find a replacement dealer along with the new wrench. Principle is one thing, Choice is priceless.
    easy-lift guy

5. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

they used to be included with the new product

6. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Most people understand that. If you don't ask you are not guaranteed to receive. Ask and if your given a hard time find another dealer that will treat you like a customer instead of someone they can take advantage of. That simple.
    easy-lift guy

7. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

the older 420 blowers used to have the scrench, and small screwdriver placed underneath the blower in a holding place, for in-field repairs......

i agree, you should always ask for the scrench with every purchase, and DEFINITELY wouldnt have paid $13 for it

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  8. locallawncare.ca

from Ontario

That's one thing I miss about the old 420 is the onboard stihl wrench, although they did fall out on occasion, to easylift, yes there are other dealers, although this one is the closest and the only one I have bought from, next time I'm at the mower dealer(toro/exmark/stihl/walker, etc) I will ask them for one.

9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Mine came in the bag with the manual everytime
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. jequigle

jequigle LawnSite Member

Broke one and went to get a new one and they just gave it to me for free.