1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

13 hp Honda

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by IndianRiverLandscape, Jan 14, 2006.

1. IndianRiverLandscape

IndianRiverLandscape LawnSite Member

Hello, I have a 13 hp Honda on a log splitter, and today it gave a few knocks and stopped running, like it ran out of gas, but harder knocks, starter cord wont pull, half tank of gas, oil is thick but within the thatch, any suggestions would be helpful, my guess is its gonna need to visit a shop, or replace the engine
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Knocks, quits, starter rope won't pull? Sure sounds like it locked up to me. Not common on a Honda though. How old is she?
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Remove the three screws holding the recoil assembly on and grab the starter cup with your hand and see if it will rotate back-wards, If it does about 3/4's of a turn then locks again.....oops rod came loose.
    You may find a deal on a replacement engine here ; http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/
  4. IndianRiverLandscape

IndianRiverLandscape LawnSite Member

havent tried taking apart the recoil.. just getting ideas, not at all an old engine I'd say about 50 hours very max since last oil change, I'm just wondering where to go from here, I'm going out tomorrow to see whats up with the coil...my (and guess) is that a piston rod or something with the cylinder snapped again aapreciate help
  5. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

Is the rod coming loose on the 13hp Honda a common problem?? Our straw blower engine had this problem.
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would venture to say no, I don't recall having a Honda come in with a broke rod but I guess it can happen.