1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

13 versus 16 HP for Quick 36

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LarryF, Nov 22, 2006.

1. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a search on this topic but didn't see anything, so I thought I'd ask. Is there really a compelling reason for getting an engine with the extra 3 HP? It appears that a lot of LawnSite members have bought the Quick 36 and therefore must have made a decision regarding which size engine to get. Would you share with me what pushed you in which ever direction you took? And for you who got the 13 HP, did you regret it and would you choose a 16 if you could do it over again?
  2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Larry...I have the 16hp which comes with the Samurai. However...the 3 extra hp wasn't what sold me on the unit...it was the Kawasaki over the Briggs. Nothing against Briggs...they make great motors...I just wanted a Kawi. But 3 hp wont make a difference on the 36....matter fact 16 horse is probably overkill! So...if you decide on the 13...you'll still be making a great choice. Again 3hp makes no difference in my opinion...you wouldnt notice it.
  3. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

I like the brigs.. find it easy to get parts on any brigs enigine if you need them. I got the 13hp super fox and love it. Use it to mow about 15 yards a week and it is perfect. I am most likly going to buy the quick44 also becuase I have been so happy with gary and his staff.
  4. hwew

hwew LawnSite Member

I also have the Samurai with the 16 Hp. Kawasaki engine I also believe it is overkill but that is ok. (Less stress on the engine should mean longer life) The reason I also purchased the Samurai is because of the Kawasaki engine. I feel it is a smoother running engine but most of all it is a much quieter engine due to the nice industrial muffler.
  5. abcfamily

abcfamily LawnSite Member

Does anyone know when the 44" is coming out?
    What kind of updates it will have??

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

The 44 is coming in Feb. KAW motor with handle and control lever modifications ...I have heard the cost is somewhere around $3000....
  7. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

The extra 3 hp helps when using the step saver.
  8. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

id go with the 16hp better to be safe than sorry:hammerhead: id escpecially want the KAW they have some real power and they last a lot longer IMO
  9. WJW Lawn

I agree...I think Kawasakis last longer too
  10. WJW Lawn

But I am curious...how many hours can you actually get out of a Kawasaki?? Ive heard alot which is why i got one...but what's a realistic number?