1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by o it grew landscaping, Jan 26, 2006.

1. o it grew landscaping

o it grew landscaping LawnSite Member

How do you guys go about offering mulch as an extra service, tell me everything you can because ive heard a lot about it and might want to think about offering it as extra service....do you do good off it, how do you bid it, how do you advertise it and how many clients do you get for it...thanks
  2. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I just advertise it by word of mouth, offering it to exsisting customers, on my cards and flyers. I charge $40.00 a yard. Maybe more depending on where I have to put it. Just another service to make more money plus another service to offer my customers. I don't want them to go to anybody else for anything.
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We just run an ad. Along with our mowing and spring clean up ad we also put in mulch delivery and installation. We give them a price by doing an estimate like everything else. Prices will vary from place to place. And conditions will be a variable also, I'm not going to hump mulch up or down a hill and practically kill myself for the same as if I were doing a small little front yard 10 steps away. Here you can get mulch installed anywhere from $35.00/yrd to $60/yrd.
  4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We sell it by the bag. Our cost to buy the mulch is $2.65 per bag. We retail it for $4.00 per bag. We also charge our clients a $60 delivery fee. We also charge an hourly rate once we arrive at thier place to clean the beds and install it.

Honestly, we prefer that our customers just call the Home Depot and have them deliver the mulch. We don't want our customers owing us that much money. Mulch usually triples the price of a clean-up. The average clean-up is about $150 or so. With mulch, they seldom escape for less than $500 and we don't like having a single client owe us that much.

DFW Area Landscaper
  5. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

We have been doing by the bag as well, it is so much less labor.

We have been charging $2.50 per cubic ft so $7.50 per bag. I have an ad for Terra Turf in front of me and they are charging $9.00 per bag with a $100 min. I think you can get more.

I think I will go to that price (9) for anything less than 25 bags (3 cubic ft).

Lets face it neither of us want to leave the house for that type of work.
  6. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

WOW! Hard to believe you would hold yourself back that much. But if you are that booked up i guess you should. If you buy mulch in bulk it can be very profitable and with less labor. 66% margin and up is not bad. Not many retailers can get that. After labor you may still get 35%. Retailers would love to get 5% after cost. So you have to invest 15 to 30 days to get your money, big deal. I would do that 365 days a year if I could.
  7. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

The nice thing about bagged mulch is that if you have too much, it can be stored easily. With mulch by the scoop, if you show up with too much of it, that means a trip back to the mulch supplier or to the dump to get rid of it. That is the only reason we use bagged mulch. It makes it easier to bring more than we think we'll need, which prevents us from running short and being forced into making two trips.

DFW Area Landscaper
  8. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

I price mulch by the Cubic Yard. I pay 14.00 per yard for regular hard wood mulch and 20.00 per yard for Midnight mulch. I then charge 70.00 per yard for the HW and 85.00 per yard for the Midnight. I tell the customer "it will take form xxx to xxx yards of mulch and give them a minimum and maximum fee that it willcost to do there mulch. I have been busy in January and have most of february filled with extra mulch jobs. Now is the time to get that done and then when mowing season starts you won't be too full trying to get the muclh done and the spring mowing done as well.
  9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We advertise it to the public, and also sub for other companies. There is good money in mulch, but just like anything else the less time you are on a job the more profit. We deliver and spread mulch for as little as $25yd and up to $85yd. We are also capable of spreading 20+ yds per hour. payup
  10. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

What's Midnight mulch? I've never heard that one before, probably cause I'm in the Pac NW.