1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by plantzpropertymanagement, Mar 11, 2006.

1. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

need some prices you guys charge

1. fall clean-ups
    2. gutter cleaning
    3. mulch installation
    4.sod installation
    5. power washing
    6. trimming bushes and stuff

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

OK I'll say it...my pricing is good only for me, based upon my costs and acceptable margins. Your pricing should be based on your costs and acceptable margins...

1. $325 per hour
    2. Not offered
    3. $225 per hour plus $85/yard mulch
    4. $4.39/sq. foot
    5. not offered
    6. $325 per hour
  3. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

you got to be kidding me
  4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your a little high for me. Mine is

1. $275 hour
    2. I don't offer it
    3. $185 hour plus $65 yard mulch
    4. $4.10 sq. ft.
    5. I don't offer it
    6. $275 hour
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Price per hour for these items all the same in our area $25/hr. Price could vary up as high as $75/hr by solo part time guys but the price I gave you is for mid range size business.
  6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope these new guys know that price in one area doesn't mean it will be that price in another area or even next city over. I noticed your pricing is really really depressed in your town compared to my area.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Wow $25 per. And that is mid range. I would lose money if I had to sell for that. It is amazing how different things are in other parts, and yet your truck cost the same, gas is almost the same and the mowers are going to be close. I feel for ya man:cry:
  8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

My god my employees make more than $25 per hour! How can anyone live on $25 per hour is beyond me...
  9. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

Im guessing your from a large city? I charge 39/hr for all jobs plus materials. Mulch i charge 35/yd but can buy it at retail for 29. Ill pay an employee somewher between 7-12 hr depending on what theyre doing and if theyre hourly or commision based. Someone making $25/hr around here would be comfortable if they were single. Keep in mind that everything else is going to cost less around here too... food, housing, etc.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

$25 / hour is a reasonable rate for a startup operation, if you have higher prices and higher costs involved, then you have to recover this cost and this is no easy task. While some are astounded by the apparent low-ball, guys like me are dismayed by the waste.

One guy said their truck cost the same as mine: My truck cost US $1,400...
    How much did theirs cost, the same? No, I think theirs cost more, but that's just me.

For example, a cubic yard of double-shredded mulch costs me US $12.50, now compare that with these guys paying near $40 / yard and you tell me what it is anyone fails to understand. But it's no wonder, they're getting their mulch from a nursery or some other place that doesn't even hint of a discount. I'm not saying we should get our supplies from shady dealers, but I am saying business owners need to spend time shopping around for high quality and low prices <- That is one of our primary missions.

After all, what kind of experts are we if we can't even get decent prices?
    The secret is there is no secret: Find the best products at the lowest price, and suddenly all your problems are fixed - You can charge good rates and thus get excellent conversions and still make a great profit all in the same move.
    I didn't say it was easy, but to me the price-shopping issue is a challenge I enjoy.
    I shop around, and I find good deals (like synthetic racing blend motor oil for $1.79 a quart - the same price as standard oil).
    If it's not at least 30 percent off, don't even bother me... I get excited when the discount hits 50 percent, before that I don't even get out of bed.