13hp kohler comand engine filters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leeslawncare, Jul 23, 2001.

1. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys i looked at the threads on the cross over on oil filters. an i havent found nothing on the 13hp kohler command engine.Any of you guys have one ?Is there a off brand filter i can use ? Thanks...Lee:blob3:

2. Bo Jack

Bo Jack LawnSite Member
    from midwest

3. leeslawncare

it takes a #12050-1 kohler filter if that can help ?find a cross over

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

All Kohlers with oil filters take the filters that Bo Jack listed above.

5. leeslawncare

thanks richard !! i didn't know that .you may have saved me a ton of $$ .whitch one is the best? do you have a prefrance?or any one else for that matter?

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

All are good filters, take your choice. I use the PureOne's.

7. Richard Martin

They are not "all" good filters. I would stick with Purolator (Pure 1 prefered), Motorcraft Longlife, Mobil 1 and AC Delco.

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I was referring to the ones Bo Jack mentioned

9. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Now my 2 cents worth on filters. The filters listed above will "cross over" from the Kohler number. What does that mean? If you look in the Wix catalog under application by part number the 51348 filter fits Chrylser 2.2 liter engines and V.W. 1.7 liter engines. A far cry from an air cooled engine. The thread size and seal size are the same and the oil flows the same way thru the filter and it will stop dirt, but what about a by-pass valve and an anti-drain back valve? I was always taught don't always trust a cross over. Make sure that part was designed for that application. On my Ford product at home I use a motrocraft filter, on my pontiac I use a delco, and on my caravan I use a Kohler (caught you guys on that one LOL). The thing is what is your equipment worth to you? All of the filters are designed to remove dirt and debris, but what did the factories have in mind for the other components. Shop around for volume discounts on filters. Some people might give a good break if you buy a case at a time. Again just my 2 cents worth.

10. Richard Martin

Jman wrote:
    but what about a by-pass valve and an anti-drain back valve?

Are you questioning whether or not the above named filters have these items? Or the quality of these items in the named filters?