13hp too weak?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kingbman1, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

IS a 13 horsepower to weak for a 36inch mower??

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Toro 37in belt with a 12.5 kaw, it lacks power in thick tall grass. I would go with a 15 kaw if possible and a hydro.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Nope it should work fine unless you are in 10" plus tall grass for some reason.

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

my 36" Toro 13 HP Kohler WB ...is like bushhog......it will go through anything and hardly ever clumps.

Derek

5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

are you just pulling the machine, or a sulky or proslide?
    if not you should be more then fine under normal conditions. I have a 12 hp kawasaki on my 48", and I've cut grass well over a foot tall. you'll be fine. Under normal cutting conditions, i don't think you would even notice a difference other the label on the top of the mower.

6. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

For us it's too weak for an everyday mower. But allright if you're just using it for a few backyards a week. I definitely wouldn't have a sulky behind it though.

7. fga

I'm not being smart, just asking. why is the amount of time used relevant to the horse power? if its good enough to cut 10 hours week, you'd need 15 hp to cut 20 a week?

8. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't want one of my guys to use it 10 hours, maybe an hour or two tops. It would take a little more time to cut the yard and harder on the engine. IMO
    The only reason we have a 36 on a trailer is to get into backyards we can't get a 52 or 60 into

9. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

10. fga

under normal cutting conditions, how does it take longer and harder on the engine? :confused: that would only make sense if you were cutting a neglected property with overgrown grass, like 1 - 2' high. I'm not getting on you, just don't agree. what ever works for you.