1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, Jan 6, 2003.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you 14,15,16,or17 year old people pay taxes on your mowing?

For the established people when did you start paying taxes?
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

whether they claim the income or not is the question.

there are allowances for their age status with earning exemptions that would affect their actual tax liability. I don't know all the particulars about this.

me, personally, I don't care about the underage crowd. it's the nasty looking grubbyass bunch that steals from me in my area that gets on my nerves. read that to mean bonafied scrub.

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I started from day one, went full bore, legit into it. Not saying everyone at a young age isn't. I often wondered too about that ?, I'm probably wrong but I did'nt even think you could be in business at that age, but like I said I'm probably wrong. The way my business is going, if I'd have started when I was 15, I'd be retired by now. :)

Oh ya forgot to add, I too am not worried about the younger crowd, honestly I have never seen anyone in my neck of the woods thats under 25, but there probably there. More power too them.
  4. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

If I were to offer a bit of advice, I would not post on a public forum if I were cheating on my taxes or not otherwise complying with any laws, rules or regulations.

Technically, anyone who nets more that $400 from self employment income will have some manner of tax liability.

I am sure that there are a ton of people out there (mostly young, probably) who mow lawns or other odd jobs and do not report their income or pay taxes.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I started in September of 1994. Went full legit in January of 1995.
  6. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Im 16. I tried registering as a biz cant do it until age 18, pesticide lic 18 as well. Even my mowers say dont operate under age 16 or 18. I did the neighbors until this year. I will gross approx. $10k. Ive spent over 22k in equipment (truck trailer mowers 2 stroke etc). If i cant register as a biz, sign a truck lease, get a business loan. i am making no effort to pay any taxes yet.
  7. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

8. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Age, licensing, registration have absolutely no bearing on taxes.

If you make the money, technically you are liable for taxes, all the other stuff doesn't matter to the IRS!
  9. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

Im 16 years old and i report my what I make to Good old uncle sam. I haveto my Mom and Dad have passes away so i have to have all the records in tip top shape, so my guardian doesn't get in to crap im looked at by the courts every year i think too.
  10. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

Before we got to where we are today, we worked solely for one construction company maintaining their 10 properties. We woudl receive checks, without taxes taken out and then every year, we'd give our earning reports to our accountant and he'd figure out what we owed in income tax. Now, we're doing sales tax, etc. It can get complicated...the guys around here will help you out!