1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

14 Acres, ZTR vs. Fairway Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by liquidforcedude7, Apr 11, 2006.

1. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Allright next year im probably going to get a 12-14 acre property, I would probably drop all my residentials and just work this one since im in school and all. But I would need a mower capable of handling such a task, I started looking at new and used 60 and 70 ince ztrs and then I realized that a fairway mower would be something to consider also. Any opnions?? Actualy heres a link to the property http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=37.555012~-77.604589&style=o&lvl=1&scene=3352480 that piture makes the grassy areas look small cause we were having the parking lot redone and boats are all over the place but theres alot more grass than you can see especially over on the right near the river, but you cant see it cause of the tree cover. the people who did it last year had 3 guys 2 on big ztrs and 1 on a 42 w/b and it took them about 1/2 a day
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

WOAAAAAAAAAAAAH, Do not put all your eggs in one basket! How long is it going to take to pay off that new mower for that one property? what about when they dink you and say they have someone else to take care of the place. think hard, it might be best to let this one slip by for the time being.
  3. liquidforcedude7

from america

next year, theyve decided/are deciding they want to stop shoveling out 14k a year for it and have a member/teenager do it I figured if if paid 5-6 k for a ztr and just used a 21 for the gnarly enbankment that goes down tot he docks id still be making 4k a year and have it all paid off in one year... and Id keep my commercials (3) and drop my residentials (7-9)
  4. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

A Fairway mower would be no good on that property, they cut too low for regular grass anyways. Get a 72 Inch ZTR and you will be all set.
  5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Don't buy a piece of equipment that can only be used on one property.

Just because you're a teenager, why would you take such a drop in price? You said a mower that's $5-6K and make $4k. So I'm guessing you're charging $10-11K with other expenses figured in? Make sure you're making what you should, and not just scraping by. I don't know if that's too low of a price or not, but just don't sell yourself short.
  6. liquidforcedude7

from america

Yea the reason im looking at 60s are because a 70 probably wouldnt fit onto my trailer :cry: but i dont know I guess to me its 4k the first year and 10-11 after the first, I guess like none of my friends will make 300 all summer and I can go and make 10k just on one property so I guess that woudl make me settle for the drop. this is soo big I have a very hard time sitting down and running the numbers and $$ per hour so 10k sounds like a very good price. But this would is also ideal work conditions, pretty much just wide open mowing all by myself, if I get hot I can just jump in the pool, nobody sitting there wathing me through a window... you know what I mean