14 acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SAWFISH, Oct 7, 2006.

SAWFISH LawnSite Member

Someone I know has about 14 acres to mow and they are looking for a way to mow it faster - currently using a J.D. tractor with a 72" deck. They are looking at 2006 Exmark Z XS with the 72" deck, it was a demo unit and I'm not sure which engine it has. My question is which engine would you go with? (what brand / gas / diesel)
    Is there something that you would recommend besides the Exmark? Most of the area that is being cut is just field grass(weeds)
  2. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

he could look at dixie choppers. they go real fast. hustler superZ to or a gravely.
  3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I mow 15 acres a week and have been for 24 years, I use to mow it with a 38 hp. John Deere tractor and a 8' Befco finishing mower. I bought a Hustler Super Z a few years back and realized I never used the 8' Befco mower any so I sold it. The Hustler would mow the same grass about 60% faster, after I got use to mowing at 12 to 15 mph I could not stand to get on the tractor and feel like a turtle crawling around, it about drove me crazy. When you get use to the fast speed and maneuverability of the Hustler (or Dixie Chopper) you want ever cut with a tractor again. I have had flawless service from the Kohler 28 efi and it is the best engine I have operated on the five zero turn mowers I have owned. I always like more power on anything, I hope to have a 36 efi in 2008.