14 foot single axle? HELP

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Greenlandscaping, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Greenlandscaping

Greenlandscaping LawnSite Member

I need a bigger trailer. Right now all the fall jobs i have set up the only way i can do them all is if i get a bigger trailer so i will be able to run my exmark and craftsman. My old man and i. They both have baggers. In the fall time is tight i only have about 20 hours of landscaping i can do a week. Thats why i tell all my clients to call and schedule now. Im a full time student. If i were to haul this 14 foot trailer with a craftsman rider, exmark 60 inch turf tracer, little wonder high output blower, and a toro 21 inch with a toyota tacoma v6 would it do alright? http://www.trailersplus.com/Utah/Murray/Trailers/CarryOn/4YMUL1410BM023286.php:confused:

2. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

A 14' single is a fragile trailer that will be very damage prone. The weight balance will be a challenge as well. You will find fish tailing will be more of a problem if the weight load is off even a little. With a 60" and other stuff on the trailer one good pothole or bump will be all it takes to damage the bearings and eject a wheel.

Spending as little as $200 to add a second axle would be money well spent. You should plan on spending some money for electric brakes and a controller as well. With a Tecoma a 14' trailer is going to be more then the truck brakes can handle. You'll end up wearing out the trucks brakes prematurely and your stopping distance will be dangerously extended.

3. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I second the above. If you are going to stay in this business then go ahead and get a 16' the single 14' will not last at all.

4. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I think you could have problems backing the tandem axle setup with such a small truck. When you start to back up and get it turning it will want to lift the back end of that truck up in the air and your tires will start to spin. I'm not even sure if it's legal to even pull a 7k rated trailer with that truck.

5. PlantscapeSolutions

Until you get to 26,001 GCWR there is very little regulation of trailers. Usually you have to get into triple 7K axle setups or twin 10K axle setups before the regs get strict.

I'm constantly amazed at the overloaded 1/2 ton & less trucks and trailers going down the road but they never get pulled over. Pull onto a scale with your commercially registered truck and trailer and there will be no warning for being even a little over weight.

6. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Yea I thought the same thing, until I seen a Uhaul and my personal f350 get pulled over and weighed. The road we were on was a 10 ton weight limit. I did have a enclosed trailer hooked up but it was not over due to it only had my race car inside.

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I've had two 14' single axle trailers. One I still have right now. I rarely use it anymore but when I did, it did absolutely fine. I would often put a 148 Gravely, Honda 21", and a 260 Gravely on it. It pulled fine with no problems.

No fishtailling, balance, or anything else mentioned. My only big concern was getting a flat tire. Make sure you have a spare since you only have one tire per side.

For what its worth, my dealer every now and then will have a 7x14' single axle with the 5200 lb. axle. Tough little trailer right there.

In my opinion, for what you're looking for, if it all fits on the trailer, you'll be fine.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the above poster. Dont listen to the other guys bs. Also, do yourself a favor and put a mulch kit on the 60.

9. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I love my 14 single. It also has the 5000lb axle. It is pretty light construction, thats why I bought it. Its strictly for the two 60" z's and a dingo when I rent that. I have larger trailers when I need them though. I like the single 14 footer better than the 7x14 all aluminum enclosed that I used last year. You gotta love picking the thing up to set it on the ball! Sometimes simple is better! Singles are light enough to tow empty with a flat, to get to the shop.

10. PlantscapeSolutions

The problem with driving with a flat is there's a good chance your going to beat the fender all to hell. The great thing about a tandem is you don't need a jack. Just drive the good tire & axle up onto a block of wood you keep stashed and the axle with a flat will be up in the air. You can do a really quick tire change and be on your way.