14" gas chop saw or fixed saw?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by xtreem3d, Mar 21, 2010.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

hi guys,
    does anyone regret buying one over the other? pro's cons? both my choices are edcos,...HSS series or GMS series
    TIA
    steve

2. Crash

Crash LawnSite Member

We use both kinds(MK fixed, Stihl & EFCO chop). Different conditions call for different saws. They both work great for their purposes.

3. xtreem3d

hi kyle,
    what condition would warrant a chop saw over a regular saw?
    steve

4. Crash

Crash LawnSite Member

Well I can't speak for everyone, but for us I find it easiest and safest to use the MK table saws for most patio and walkway bricks. It seems to go much faster and be more productive. Now when we are doing big retaining walls or steps or stuff like that, we use one of our gas powered handheld saws for the thicker bricks. I just think the big 14" cut-offs are a little overkill for patio brick, they work good but man, that's an easy way to cut a toe off. Plus, you set up your table saw downwind from where you're working, one guy marks and lays, one guy cuts, you don't gotta worry about holding on to the big chop saw and it jerkin sideways or something.

It's all personal preference, they both have their uses.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i'd agree with both as well... that and some of the larger pavers its easier to lay it, scribe it and cut in place.

6. xtreem3d

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  7. Crash

Crash LawnSite Member

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

EDCO is the only way to go.

9. xtreem3d

i agree but which one and why?
    steve

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

It's like this:

A painter does not have just one ladder or 1 paint brush. They will have various brushes for performing a variety of different functions.

Same goes for saws. My company is craftsmanship oriented. Craftsmanship derives from attention to detail. So, if you want clean, plumb, perfect cuts - a table saw will achieve this. If you're just concerned about cutting and don't care what the cuts look like - then use a chop saw. We have both.