14 horse Kohler over heatting after running 20 minutes

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bones45650, Apr 16, 2005.

1. bones45650

bones45650 LawnSite Member
    from 62830

Hi,

I have an older model 14 HP Kohler engine. I have rebuilt every thing that you can possibly do to an engine, Even had the crankshaft turned and the piston rod matched. The engine sounds good for the first 20 minutes of mowing with it, But then all at once it will loose power and sound like it will throw the rod right threw the block. I let it cool off, And it will run another 20 minutes. Then the same thing will happen. I have drilled a whole in the gas cap, thinking that was the problem, But it was not. Would anyone out there have any idea's what i can do to fix this problem ?

Thank You, bones45650

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Is ALL the sheet metal of the blower housing in place? I have seen people remove or cut parts of the blower housing or even remove it all together thanking it would help it cool only to cause it to over heat. Are the cooling fins on the flyhweel intact? Are the cooling fins on the engine block free and clear of trash and such?

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is your engine a K-321?

4. bones45650

bones45650 LawnSite Member
    from 62830

My 14HP Kohler is a K301 AQS, And all sheet metal is good and fins are clean.

5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

K-301 is a 12hp.

Did you have the balance gears put back in it? I have talked with a lot of people who have rebuilt K-series and they don't even put the balancers back in when they rebuild because they essentially don't do anything. :rolleyes: It might help if you have those taken out.

6. Paul Corsetti

Paul Corsetti LawnSite Member

check you muffler and exhaust to make sure it is not plugged up , just a little trash in it will not alow it to run properly due to not enough flow. It will build up heat as you use it and over heat. if it was an engine problem it would over heat faster than 20 min, more litk 5 min, what ever is doing this is a slow constant heating problem,good luck, i like kaw engines myself

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Ok bones start with the easy steps first !
    It sounds like a timming problem to me, double check your flywheel key.I had a customer in today that lost spark on his briggs,He took the flywheel off to clean the rust off thinking that would fix it and didnt get it back on tight enough thus partly shearing the key and causing more work for me.
    If thats fine go to the points double check the gap if thats ok, Go to the valves stick a small screw driver in the plug hole and make sure you are on t.d.c. compression stroke and check adjustment. Sorry to say but the next step is to double check cam timming and while your in there make sure the counter balancers are timed right. There is a speical tool kohler has to time the balancers properly,Lastly while in there ckeck the crankshaft end play.
    This is how i would diagnose this problem.
    By no means do you want to take or leave the balancers out of a K series engine, thats just what they are designed to do balance the rotating assembly and keep the engine from viabrating apart.

One other thing to mixer67 you should know a engine will overheat in less than 20min. with the blower housing removed....

A MASTER SERVICE TECHNICIAN OF 14 YEARS
    BRIGGS & STRATTON
    FACTORY TRAINED KOHLER
    TECUMSEH
    KAWASAKI
    HONDA
    ONAN
    FACTORY TRAINED POLARIS ATV & WATERCRAFT