1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

14 Hp Kaw and double blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patfo, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Patfo

Patfo LawnSite Member

Will a 14 HP Kaw handle double blades on a 36 in walk behind? If so is the Gator mulcher on top and high lift on bottom the best combo? THANKS!
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have run doubles on 2-60" Choppers with 20 HP engines and had great luck with them, so that 14 HP should handle the 36" with ease. Try the blades both ways and see what works best for you. I run mine just the opposite of what you said.
  3. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

I run doubles blades on my 32" exmark with 12.5 kaw. engine doesn't bog down at all. can't remember what comb.
    I think I have gaters on bottom. It makes a big difference when bagging leaves. Makes a loud hum sound. when bagging it sounds like its going suck every thing up.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 14 kawi with double blades and it works just fine. Mine is also on a 48". I use high lift on bottom and gator on top.
  5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i have a Walker 16hp kohler with a 52" side discharge with doubles, hi-lift on top mulcher on botton, does great, have logged over 400 hours on it. WEAR EAR PLUGS. my need a pilots license also, it sounds like it could take off.