14 hp kaw wont start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GAM321, May 3, 2005.

1. GAM321

GAM321 LawnSite Member

14 hp kaw runs fine and at next stop wont start. No spark. Messed around with safety switches and then started next time drove back to shop and tried and it started.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Next time the engine drops spark don't touch anything on the machine (safety switches) Disconnect the kill wire from the throttle control box and check for spark,If it sparks you have eliminated a engine problem.
    Check safety switches with a volt-ohm meter set on ohm scale,If you don't have a meter they are around 15.00 at Radio shack.

3. GAM321

GAM321 LawnSite Member

Thank You I did try the ohm check and all switches seem to be working. I will try the kill wire. I also switched out the module with another mower and still no spark.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm assuming it's on a WB mower? Right.

You'r turning your gas tank valve off each time you load, right?

If not, fuel will flood the carb.

I shut my tank valve off prior to even loading the SCAG, this way it lowers the amount of gas in the line going to the carb.

Carb float bounces on trailer, bounces down, needle opens thinking it needs more fuel, adds more fuel, and floods the engine.

5. Restrorob

If you disconnect the kill wire and still have no spark,change the plug wire boot with another,If still no spark replace the coil.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Are you centain there isn't spark, or are you assuming there isn't?

7. GAM321

GAM321 LawnSite Member

Yes it is a walk behind.
    I used to shut the gas off all the time . I dont any more and havent given it a thought till you said so.
    I have a spark tester.
    Tonight same thing even with the black wire un hooked.
    going out to investigate further. Thanks to all

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 14 hp Kaw and the coil would quit after the engine got warm , sometimes. I have had more coils go out on Kaw engines then all other brands combined.

9. GAM321

GAM321 LawnSite Member

Away for the weekend. Today cut one yard and shut it off and then wont start and no spark even with unhooking kill wire. Tried switching coil with my older kaw. This didnt work either. The old one has an igniter and the new one doesnt. Any thoughts?

10. Restrorob

No spark with kill wire disconnected means only one thing ! Replace the coil,With the proper one.
    Set the air gap with any business card.