14 hp kohler fuel problem, ferris

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cutDcheeze, Jun 7, 2004.

1. cutDcheeze

cutDcheeze LawnSite Member

New to this site, I have a problem with a used ferris hydrowalk i purchased in run down condition. When I first start the 14 hp kohler it runs fine for a while and then it stops drawing fuel. I installed a new fuel pump but that did not change a thing. I pulled off the fuel line at the carb and fuel pumps out when I turn the engine over. I installed a squeez ball to help keep it running while mowing, runs out quick, have to stop and pump a lot to keep it running. when I shut the mower off lots of little bubbles come up in the fuel tank from the outlet line. Tonight I put my hand over the filler hole on the tank and the fuel filter started to fill up. my cap is broke and I will get a new one tomorrow. Will this fix the problem? why wont it draw fuel with the cap off? Should the cap be vented or unvented? Please help.

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

The cap should be vented. It sounds like you are pulling a vacuum in the fuel tank if you are using a non-vented cap. The fuel pumps runs off a vacuum/pressure pulse from the crankcase. If the crankcase breather is messed up you will not get the pulse to run the pump. If I read your post right I would say it was the fuel cap. I see this kind of thing all the time in the shop. People misplacing there fuel caps and using anything that will fill. The all time winner of this had to be a man I know that took the charcoal canister and what not off his car. He plugged off all the un-used lines. He was going down the interstate and all of a sudden "BAM" and the motor died. He though he had got re-ended. The gas tank had imploded, sucked in by the fuel pump becaused the tank could not breath. I though it was funny, he didn't.

3. cutDcheeze

This motor has a mechanical fuel pump.

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I still say the fuel cap needs to be vented. As fuel is pumped out of the tank if air can not get it you are going to have problems.

5. cutDcheeze

I agree with that statement but the mower would not run with the cap on or off. Any other ideas? Please help