1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

14 Hp on 48 Hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MysticLandscape, Jun 30, 2006.

1. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys think it will work. It will be used on some hills but not alot. I can get the 15 HP model but its $800 more for one pony. I can get the encore 48 hydro for $3475. Good deal or no?
  2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

14horse is to small for that size mower. I'd want a 15 minimum, 17hp would be best.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

For $800 you can buy a new 18HP Kohler engine with pull start. I don't think 14hp is sufficient either we use 15hp on 36" units.
  4. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Not enough engine..not even close.
  5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Some of these guys on this site must be waiting for the grass to get 8" tall before they mow. If you are finish mowing on a 7 day basis or less, go for it.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Stop bean da moron n' get da Toro 48" proline wit' da 15hp Kohler belt-driven T-bar operated sweetie pie 'n order yo'self da velke from J-thomas 'n pay yo da tax 'n be yo spend 3,200.00 'n yo be done, word.
  7. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to get a hydro, gangsta.
  8. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

my 48" lesco with a 14hp kaw, pulling 2 wheel, castored sulky and my 185#s and it does just fine up any hill I have come across.
  9. bdboss

bdboss LawnSite Member

I have been running 14hp kawi's on all of my 48" walk behinds both belt drive and hydro for 10 years without any problems. Last time i looked at my brand of hydro though they no longer offer the 14hp ehgines.
  10. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

You could do it, just have to go slower in high grass.