1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

14 lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sowstrong, Jul 30, 2005.

1. sowstrong

sowstrong LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Well, two days ago I was working for my friend. I am pretty new to commercial lawn mowing but I have caught on pretty quick. In a 7-8 hour work day we cut 14 lawns with a three man crew. Now, personally, I thought that was horrible. If I was running the show I think I could have gotten at least 17 that day. My boss runs a 36" scag w/b, his other worker mows with a 21" honda, and I weed-eat and edge. We all get done right around the same time. I am still getting more effecient at weed-eating so I am able to blow off more.
    I was wondering what I could advise my friend to do so that he can get more productivity. Most of our yards 1/2-3/4 acres nothing too big. I was wondering if upgrading to a 32" hydro instead of the 21 would help. Do you think a trimmer with an edgit would save some time instead of switching between a stick edger and a trimmer?
    I plan on starting my own lawn business next season with working with him on the side. I know I can run a better sevice than him- I just don't have the experience yet- that is why I am going to work with him and do side jobs a couple of days a week.
    My last question is about how much he should pay me if I take his rig out 3 days a week and cut lawns. I think I can cut anywhere between 10-13 lawns in a day by myself. I was thinking that 20-25 an hour would be good. If I cut 1.5 yards and hour @ 30 each after subtracting employee cost and other fees he should be making at least 10 bucks an hour and not have to even be there. So what are you guys thoughts in all this?
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would think It depends on the size of the lawn how many you can do. And I think your totally insane if you think you will get $20-25 an hour in GA.
  3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Edgits save tons of time here. :)
  4. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

You can just turn the trimmer upside down and trim like that, works fine on established edges.

and around here, $6-$9 an hour is normal.

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

Your dreaming if you think your getting 20 to 25 a hr , you would be lucky 10 a hr since its not your business ......... you have no idea if you run a legit business what his expenses are . The cost of doing business up here is getting to be insane and somedays you just wonder why you are doing to this.
  6. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

While you are fast asleep he is still working. Working on the job site is only half of what most owners do, then there is the office work, appointments, employee meetings, office staff meetings (shall I go on). You can not think that he is only doing so many yards a day that it’s easy to run a business. At least you are getting a paycheck and trust me the first few years starting the business are very hard and you will be lucky to get any money for yourself it all goes back into your business. I hope you really look into this first before jumping in with both feet. It’s a lot harder than you think. And by the way if you were to work for Always Greener you start at $6.50 pulling weeds then if you were good for that season then maybe I would put you on training with a trimmer.
  7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

1. On the 1/2 to 3/4 acre lawns a 36 is way to small for a front mower. This guy is probably losing his a$$ already based on what you said earlier. He didn't make much if anything if the three of you did 14 lawns the size you said in a day.
    2. To expect your boss to pay you 20-25 an hour is silly. Don't expect more than $10-13 tops and that's really generous.
    3. You could run into problem working for this guy and starting you own business. For your boss, he may just fire you because now you are his competition. For you, it will be hard to run a business and work for someone else. Running your own show is a full time job, plus a lot more work behind the scenes, like alwaysgreener said. I would suggest working with him for the rest of the season, maybe next, and then part ways to do your thing. Are you aware of the capital it's going to take to get started? I'm not trying to discourage you but equipment is not cheap.
  8. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Why should you make more than the owner of the company?

As stated, you need to sit down and think about all that goes into running a company, staying in business, and being successful.
  9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Sounds more like you're helping yourself. Why tell him any of the answers if you'll be in direct competion next year? Once he finds out he will probably be less than thrilled. It's his business so let him work it the way he sees fit. Are you making anymore money by doing more properties and getting paid by the hour? It may sound kind of lousy but just go to work each day, learn what you can and start planning now for what you wnat to do latter. Here as a gen laborer you're looking at 7-8 bucks maybe a little more depending on what skill level you actaully have. Only foremen make the kind of hourly rates you were talking about.
  10. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

That is beyond laughable...