14 more lawns to fertilize and it's hot in the north east.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Aug 6, 2001.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i got 14 more lawns to fertilize.all on one street and it's in the ninetees this week .those lawns are well watered and growing,i hate to skip the application
    what would you do?
    almost $2000 worth
    ant n.j.

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I was at the fert shop this morning for roundup and they told me that there were quite a few guys out spreading fert despite the weather( 3 pallets last week and 1 today).

Can you put them off a couple of weeks or spoon feed once now and then again in 4 weeks when the weather should break ?

just a thought.

jeffyr

3. Apply 5-10-31 granular.

4. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Using 5-10-31 ( or a close analysis) is a good idea if they are well watered like you say. Don't hit them with too much nitro.
    I am here in the NE also. Almost all lawns in this area are totally dormant. Only 1 or 2 out of 10 are being watered. Maintenance is basically shut down. All my summer apps are done. I am seriously considering getting out of maintenance altogether! I think I am going to look around for a 9-5 job with insurance and do the lawn applications on the side. I did that for 3 years and I was rolling in $$$! Now, I am wondering how I am going to pay the garage rent-health ins.-taxes-truck ins.- truck payment-cell bill-blah...blah...blah...
    I have just about had it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Stone hit it on the head, will do wonders.

6. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

The weather is very similar here too. I was picking up some trash and came across an fertilizing invoice from a home across the street. They put down 35-3-5 granular. Granted the lawn looks watered well, but geez thats a lot of nitrogen.

Eric

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

If your down under 1/2 lb. of fast release N and it's been 6-8 weeks since the last visit, that shouldn not over do the N. I'm still at it on the current round and stuff I did 2 weeks ago has benefited from the feeding. I also wrote a lot of notes about watering as well and my babies are looking good if the people follow my directions.

8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll third Stone's response as I just put the same down two weeks ago and even though my Chemlawn lawns are dead, the converts to my program look great! Looks like I'll have more converts by the end of the season. :p

9. powerreel

powerreel Banned

I did a 0-5-8. Reels return clippings VERY well...

10. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

I'll questions stones response, because as he knows turf apps are not that simple and that answer isnt the same answer for everyone.

HBFox was on the right track in stating its the amont of N and the amount of slow release N that matters, not the numbers on the bag.

Also soil tests on most of my lawns here in NJ indicate excessive levels of P and K, so additional applications particularly high rate applications would be unnecessary.